London SE1 community website

Ideas for holding a Festival

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Thursday 9 September 2004 5.48pm
I knew it!! We do live in a village. {stampeding estate agents!!! run for your lives!!}

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 12 September 2004 12.37am
Hi,

Thanks to all for the information.

I'll search about the 'old arches under London Bridge Station'. I'm not sure which one is the new Theatre company, but I'll try to find out.

The Turbine Hall looks very good, need to find out what the price is... If you want to see a pic: http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/building/construction.htm

And the Bermondsey Village Hall by the Leathermarket street sounds great. I'll get in contact with them.

The size of the event is: around 20 -30 stalls, a parallel agenda of workshops and entertainment.
The target audience: Southwark, and in general inviting people from Central London. About numbers, we are thinking of a minimum of 200 people.

No comments about Denmark... :)
Sunday 12 September 2004 9.54am

<<<I'll search about the 'old arches under London Bridge Station'. I'm not sure which one is the new Theatre company, but I'll try to find out.>>>
Possibly:
http://www.shuntevents.freeuk.com/
Sunday 12 September 2004 11.12am
Patricia

Apologies in advance if that sounds patronising or offensive...

You still haven't told us what sort of organisation is organising this "festival" - religious, cultural, or dealing with a particular disadvantaged group etc. and what the purpose of the event would be. I know - from bitter experience of eighteen hour days constructing and taking down stages on open spaces, only for turnout to be minimal - that festivals can fall flat if they don't have a compelling theme. The only exceptions are small scale community festivals for a closely defined neighbourhood or an already strongly defined group.

The reaction you will get from venue owners (including the price they will charge or waive) will be very dependent as to whether they feel that what you are doing has community benefits.

Are you even posting from the UK? How have you failed to recognise that the suggestion of the Tate's turbine hall was one of the sillier ones - it is one of the busiest covered public spaces in London.

I am sorry to say that I am starting to think that with such naievety, you should not be responsible for organising an event of this scale.
Sunday 12 September 2004 2.17pm
Rabbie is right as always, though he does sound a little tetchy. An 18 hour day?

One of the joys of living in this area is that there is a full calender of things to do. My community group has learnt the hard way not to put on community events in June as they compete with too many other school fetes, and Park events. July and August are not much better for family things as a lot of people are away. December would be bad too, and the price of halls goes soaring up.

It would be interesting to know the reason behind your interest. Certainly if you have the energy or interesst in organising a worthwhile event you should have no problem attracting a local partner. The group I chair, Friends of Archbishops Park, are likely to have to carry out some further consultation later this year (if some kind people give us money for new play-equipment). A drum roll sounds just the sort of thing to bring the punters in. Other than that I am probably going to have to rely on free cider samples.......
Sunday 12 September 2004 7.47pm
Hi again,
Lang Rabbie:
Type of organisation: community group: young people around Southwark and Central London wanting to do something for the community in terms of sustainability and well-being. The name: Balance for Life and we are all volunteers.

Purpose of the event: raise awareness in the community about new ways of being in Balance with their outer and inner life: sustainability and well-being

Other intentions:
Raise awareness about sustainability issues
Promote recycling, composting, green energy, energy and water efficiency and cycling
Inform about schools and learning sources for well-being activities
Promote activities to expand mind and spirit
Educate Primary School children in sustainability issues
Have a day of fun and entertainment related to sustainability and well-being

Are you even posting from the UK?
Yes, I am, I live in Bermondsey.
And I didn't think the idea of the Turbine Hall was silly, since something in mind is also a local art exhibition and we are looking a many different Gallerias around. I found the picture quite nice. Also, I didn't want to be rude saying that it was a silly idea...

Reason behind interest?
Probably very naive for some people in the Forum: to have a better world.
We believe in having a Balance with the Earth and also a Balance with our inner space.

Sunday 12 September 2004 9.16pm
The Tate certainly used to have a community arm. They got kids to make some great fuzzy letters during a car-free day at the Cut a few years back. They also helped at our major consultation day two years ago, and got kids to produce their vision for the park.

Patricia might like to get in contact with them to see what is feasible.

Though I do feel kids get an awful lot of education about sustainability and other issues. Its called PHSE and means that the little monsters lecture parents about diet, smoking, use of seat belts and the rest. We are lucky that we take them to school by public transport so avoid the one about pollution. Given that many of their peers arrive in giant four-wheel-drive people-carrier thingies they get to occupy the higher moral ground, which if your six is a good place to be. In the meantime pass me the chocolate.
Friday 17 September 2004 2.09pm
Thanks to all for the ideas.

We found a great venue for the Festival:

The Downside Fisher Youth Club at Druid Street.

It has lots of good spaces (even a swimming pool) and also, by using their building we will be helping them: they support socially excluded children and young people.

Cheers,
Patricia

Friday 24 September 2004 5.05pm
BUMP
Monday 27 September 2004 1.09pm
Patricia,

James seems to have taken off the details of your festival (I can understand why, but in this case I found it a helpful post).

Could you post here the link to your organisation and festival details? I wanted to tell a few people about it.

Thanks,
-Jo
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions