London SE1 community website

Alaska Buildings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 9 September 2004 9.56am
The Lady Miss Jo Jo wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Technically, it's in SE16,
> but it should be in SE1!
>

That's a great concept. I know what you mean. O/T, I wonder what other things would fall into that category. (Waitrose CW, of course.) Might take this over to chatter (before James does - better stick to being told off less than twice a week).

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 9 September 2004 11.23am
Are you sure it is in SE16 Jo Jo. I live in Alma Grove which is past Arancia down Southwar Park Rd and I'm SE1?
Thursday 9 September 2004 11.24am
Arancia is definitely SE16

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 9 September 2004 11.32am
It is Italian, but it's a cut above the usual spaghetti houses.
Thursday 9 September 2004 11.49am
JGarcia wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure it is in SE16 Jo Jo. I live in Alma
> Grove which is past Arancia down Southwar Park Rd
> and I'm SE1?

As James said, it's definitely SE16. That part of the boundary between SE1 and SE16 is very peculiar. I think Southwark Park Road itself is part of the boundary, so places below it are in SE1, while those north of it and on it are SE16 (with a couple of strange exceptions). Spa Road is SE16, while the two roads either side of it (The Grange and Alscot Road) are SE1, as is Grange Road.

But that's why I think Arancia should be given special SE1 status, because it is on the corner of Southwark Park Road (SE16) and Balaclava Road (SE1) and if its address was Balaclava Road, rather than Southwark Park Road, it would be in SE1.

Thursday 9 September 2004 12.28pm
Arancia is lovely - the only bad thing i would say is that I didn't realise that the roast duck starter would be cold.

that's just my ignorance though.

a lovely place! thouroughly recomend it... maybe our next social should be there?!
Thursday 9 September 2004 12.38pm
Thanks for solving my bus problems, M'Lady. I usually find it quicker to walk over Tower Bridge than to catch those buses - it seems to be up for Tate & Lyle's boat most of the time...

On another matter, has anybody tried the website of that new block of flats on Grange Road - just opposite Alaska. The website was posted on the advertising hoarding a couple of days ago, and I'm dying to know how much they want for a penthouse appartment in the Bermondsey Spa redevelopment area - that might make the Grange Walk house look like not a lot of money.

I'm <b>sure</b> that the address is http://www.futurahouse.co.uk but it's not a very impressive website...

Shame on fashion, by the way, for forcing the closure of a long-established factory.
Thursday 9 September 2004 10.51pm
It's not even a proper website yet.

How disappointing.
Friday 10 September 2004 9.02am
Well I had supper in Arancia last night. 47 for 2, so not expensive, but I'm not quite sure about the food. My dining companion & I had scallops to begin with. They were nicely cooked, but only just went under the stick as 'scallops' - 2 each. I then had pork shoulder cooked in milk which was filling & interesting, DC had guinea fowl which described as dry. Wine list excellent value. Place was deserted at 8.15 when we arrived; about half full when we left.
Friday 10 September 2004 9.26am
It's not the food we want to know about Mapmaker.

[let DC out of the attic]

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions