London SE1 community website

Alaska Buildings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Friday 10 September 2004 9.49am
Very tasty.
Friday 10 September 2004 9.58am
"DC is a Bran Flake, DC is a Bran Flake, ....."

http://www.markmcm2002.verysmooth.co.uk/ads_g-l2.html

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 10 September 2004 11.03am
Ivanhoe - enough of this already!

Friday 10 September 2004 12.21pm
Rabbie - when did you turn into Jackie Mason??

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 10 September 2004 1.25pm
Are all the properties the same? I saw a programme a few years ago and it looked like you had to squeeze between a pillar and the balcony to get from one bedroom to another...
Friday 10 September 2004 11.50pm
Jan, there is quite a variation in the layout of the different properties. All the ones I've seen have tiny kitchens though.
Saturday 11 September 2004 8.06am
Huge variety: from massive open factory loft space to studio flats on two levels. They sometimes say this is I or 2 bedroom, but they are often open plan rooms overlooking the living room...Still worth a look I would say- its a lovely place to have a nose around anyway. We bought a 2 bed for 220k a few years ago-no idea what its worth now, but its been the best move we have ever done- no plans to leave.
DSC
Saturday 11 September 2004 7.00pm
I'm looking at one of the studio type ones Ruudgull, and let's just say that if you did ever want to move on that you've definitely got yourself a nice wedge of equity there....!
Wednesday 15 September 2004 9.10am
We moved in in March, from Bermondsey Square, and are very happy. Despite its size, I think there are over 130 flats, it is remarkably quiet and well maintained. Eeach of the 8 blocks are quite different - we are dying to see some of the others (we are in the 800 block). Any offers?
Wednesday 8 February 2006 6.52pm
JGarcia wrote:
I live just down past the Alaska building and love the area. Arancia is great, so is Bermondsey Kitchen on Bermondsey street. You've also got the famour Manzes eel and pie shop on Tower Bridge Road!!
P.S. Does anyone know what the Alaska building was originally? My wife thinks it's where they invented the dish Baked Alaska!

As someone born and bred in Bermondsey I think I should point out that only Part of the Alaska building is original the rest is built on the site of the old Grange road swimming baths. Two pools one 25 yards (second class) and the other 33 yards (first class) you paid appropriately if you wished to go first or second class. The first class pool had 2 diving boards as well as seating for spectators around the pool. Second class was simply a pool
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions