London SE1 community website

Alaska Buildings

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Thursday 9 February 2006 9.00am
I have seen amazing pictures of the baths- Art Deco '20's building. Tragic that it was demolished in the 70's. Some great pics in the Local Library off Borough High Street if anyone wants to see them. They also have a book which illustrates the history of the sealskin factory. A must see for any resident.
Thursday 9 February 2006 11.20am
I used to have some photos...I'll have a sort out when i get chance..
yas
Thursday 9 February 2006 8.17pm
Mapmaker wrote:
I live next door - pretty well to the Alaska. I've never felt worried walking about at night. But I do know people do get mugged - but no more than anywhere else in London.
Buses are excellent - you've got the no 1 & 68 (?42). that stop outside the Alaska. If you go to OKR there are plenty of buses over Westminster, Waterloo & Blackfriars Bridges

Restaurants: Bermondsey Kitchen; Hartley; Champor Champor.

Shops: Waitrose, Canary Wharf. nuf said!

How could you forget Arancia?! Get out of AB, turn right and walk 2min down Southwark park road!
Monday 7 February 2011 6.39pm
I am also a first time poster thinking of moving here, so almost 6.5 years on an up to date view of the development and the area would be welcome.

I work in the City so wondered what the walk from the 63 bus stop was like after hours.

Also, I won't have parking, which is fine for day to day, but imagine that will have visitors who will want to drive down and maybe stay the weekend, what is parking like?
Monday 7 February 2011 7.04pm
Which 63 bus stop are you referring to? On the OKR near Tescos?

From Bishopsgate, there is the 78 bus, which stops opposite the Alaska. I can't speak for the building itself, but Grange Road has improved in the 6 years I have lived in SE1. Opposite the Alaska there is now Cafe Amisha, & 200m west is Bermondsey Square plus Bermondsey Street so plenty of eateries & a decent farmers market 10-2 every Saturday in Bermondsey Square. I have always felt safe walking east down Grange Road late at night. Bermondsey Spa Park has been renovated & landscaped and is now a very nice park. GP surgery & NHS dentist in the Artesian building.

Weekend parking around Bermondsey Spa Park is free on Spa Road & Alscot Road.

Hope that helps.
Tuesday 8 February 2011 2.10am
It's a bit of a walk from the 63 bus route, but you could change to a no.1 at the Elephant and Castle and that will drop you off more or less on your doorstep. As Juanita says, the 78 runs from Bishopsgate.
I've lived in Grange Road for nearly 20 years now (not lucky enough to live in the Alaska though!) and the area has changed, mostly for the better. Arancia no longer exists, which is sad, but the Amisha pizza place is nice and Bermondsey Square has a cinema, a decent independent bookshop and a small Sainsbury's as well as a couple of bar/cafes and a hotel. The farmers' market on Saturdays is good too.

If/when you move here, I'm sure you'll be very happy.
Tuesday 8 February 2011 11.45am
Emma - Just an idea, but you may not need to take the bus.

I live just off Grange Road and walk to the City every day. It takes about 30-40 minutes depending on where you are based and it a fantastic walk taking in Bermondsey Street, Borough Market, the Southbank and St Pauls.

Alteratively the Boris Bikes are also a good option once the weather improves.

Hope you enjoy the area if you decide to make the move!
Tuesday 8 February 2011 4.55pm
Thanks.
Was thinking of the 63 as the stop is literally outside my office, and buses seem regular. Do intend to walk in the mornings but tends to be lateish when I get done in the evenings.
Really like the area as seems to have so much more character than where I live now.
ADT
Wednesday 9 February 2011 2.18pm
If you get off at the 63 stop by Bricklayers Arms roundabout you can walk down Tower Bridge Road and then Grange Road. Probably note the quickest route but at night it is busy and well lit. Probably 10-15 min walk. We had a similar journey to a previous flat and my wife was never bothered by walking that route at night.

If you're planning to walk some of the time and your office is on the 63 route then I recommend going via Great Dover Street, Trinity Street and Great Suffolk Street and crossing at Blackfriars.
Thursday 10 February 2011 5.20pm
Hi - 78 and 42 (on TBR) go to Bishopsgate and are fairly frequent although v busy during rush hour - I work in Spitalfields and walk across the bridge and takes about 35 mins. The 1 and 188 (tbr) go to the west end and are really quick. As for the development its a great place - 24hr security and they will take in packages etc for you when you're not in. You can be as sociable or incognito as you like too. Its fairly quiet during the night too, as apart from Grange road its surrounded by minor roads, so at the back. We've lived here for around 5 years now - and not had any problems on the main road - like most of central london you just need to keep your wits about you when out and about. the development has nice communal gargens, and their is Spa pack across the road which is great in the Summer. And its a stone throw from Bermonsdey street.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions