London SE1 community website

It should be in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Saturday 11 September 2004 11.53am
The beauty of SE1 is that it has both Borough Market and the E&C shopping centre (which a Spanish friend of mine describes as "a carnival"). The strange thing about SE1 is its invisibility to other Londoners. The tube map is probably to blame for the almost universally held belief that the Elephant is somewhere near Croydon. I am torn between putting people right about the benefits of leaving here and keeping quiet so we can have it all to ourselves. The style of SE1 is almost like living on an island with the river forming a natural boundary in 3 directions. There is nowhere else in London where you can take a walk and see so many landmarks and quirky bits all mixed up. Nothing is far away. We could do with more green space in places though and personally, I'd like a New Zealand style coffee shop serving flat whites as nobody does coffee as perfectly as NZ.
Saturday 11 September 2004 2.55pm

Thanks LR for the pic. i like the idea of, Borough, E&C, Kennington, then Downhill.
Saturday 11 September 2004 6.33pm
Downhill Strand would suit me fine, but could settle for the Tooting Lido.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 September 2004 6.34pm by sarah2.
Saturday 11 September 2004 7.36pm
Now If the reconfigured Northern Line could run through a small space-time wormhole directly to the tunnel linking the railway stations of the Cinque Terre on the Ligurian Riveria...
Saturday 11 September 2004 7.45pm
Lang Rabbie wrote (on Thursday 9 September 2004 02:41PM)
-------------------------------------------------------
> BTW - has the Angel reopened after refurbishment?

Out of idle curiosity, I walked along the river this afternoon. The Angel is still covered in scaffolding and undergoing major structural work. Looks unlikely to reopen for some time.

Monday 13 September 2004 2.02pm
A quality comedy venue open lunch times for people to have a giggle.

Mondays can be their main day when people are in their greatest need for comedy.

Bien joué...
Tuesday 14 September 2004 5.33pm
Re Angel, Rotherhithe. It looks some way off re-opening, a month at least, I reckon.
Saturday 18 September 2004 11.27am
In the newly formed Alpine foothills, through which, the Romantische Strasse (which has now replaced the Old Kent Road) now snakes, I would build Tharg's cider house, The Bricklayer's Arms. Here you will be able choose from any of the 5 draught ciders, and three draught perrys, that are always on offer. There will also be several draught beers from England, Germany, Belgium, and the Czech Republic. There will also be an enormous range of fine wines. Non-drinkers will be most welcome, with an array of infusions, cordials, and freshly pressed fruit juices. All of the above will be available at 50p a glass.
Discrete entertainment will be provided in one of the bars, where a string quartet will play. A Dean organ will be installed in another of the bars: http://www.deanorgans.co.uk/deanorganshomepage.htm while another bar will be home to the SE1 Debating Society.
There will be a very large beer garden, where you will find a collection of aeolian harps.
Pub games can be played: darts, quoits, cribbage, and dominos. There'll also be a skittle alley. There will be food too, with concessions run by Diwana's Bhel Poori House of Drummond Street, Mildred's of Lexington Street, kebab's from Tas, fish and chips from Olley's, and all day breakfasts from Borough Café.
The Bricklayer's will be open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, and you will find yourself rubbing shoulders with the most eclectic and cosmopolitan bunch, covering all age ranges.
Free gondolas will ferry customers to and from their homes via the network of canals which also should be in SE1.
Edited to add: And the toilets will be immaculate.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18 September 2004 12.39pm by Tharg drinker of pervy.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions