London SE1 community website

The extension of 20mph speed limits to cover most of the borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Tuesday 28 September 2004 10.55am

isn't google amazing...

The Three Billy Goats Gruff

Once upon a time there were three billy goats, who were to go up to the hillside to make themselves fat, and the name of all three was "Gruff."
On the way up was a bridge over a cascading stream they had to cross; and under the bridge lived a great ugly troll , with eyes as big as saucers, and a nose as long as a poker.

So first of all came the youngest Billy Goat Gruff to cross the bridge.

"Trip, trap, trip, trap! " went the bridge.

"Who's that tripping over my bridge?" roared the troll .

"Oh, it is only I, the tiniest Billy Goat Gruff , and I'm going up to the hillside to make myself fat," said the billy goat, with such a small voice.

"Now, I'm coming to gobble you up," said the troll.

"Oh, no! pray don't take me. I'm too little, that I am," said the billy goat. "Wait a bit till the second Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

"Well, be off with you," said the troll.

A little while after came the second Billy Goat Gruff to cross the bridge.

Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap, went the bridge.

"Who's that tripping over my bridge?" roared the troll.

"Oh, it's the second Billy Goat Gruff , and I'm going up to the hillside to make myself fat," said the billy goat, who hadn't such a small voice.

"Now I'm coming to gobble you up," said the troll.

"Oh, no! Don't take me. Wait a little till the big Billy Goat Gruff comes. He's much bigger."

"Very well! Be off with you," said the troll.

But just then up came the big Billy Goat Gruff .

Trip, trap, trip, trap, trip, trap! went the bridge, for the billy goat was so heavy that the bridge creaked and groaned under him.

"Who's that tramping over my bridge?" roared the troll.

"It's I! The big Billy Goat Gruff ," said the billy goat, who had an ugly hoarse voice of his own.

"Now I 'm coming to gobble you up," roared the troll.

Well, come along! I've got two spears, And I'll poke your eyeballs out at your ears;

I've got besides two curling-stones, And I'll crush you to bits, body and bones.

That was what the big billy goat said. And then he flew at the troll, and poked his eyes out with his horns, and crushed him to bits, body and bones, and
tossed him out into the cascade, and after that he went up to the hillside. There the billy goats got so fat they were scarcely able to walk home again. And if the fat hasn't fallen off them, why, they're still fat; and so,

Snip, snap, snout.
This tale's told out.

Tuesday 28 September 2004 12.24pm
EXCELLENT!!!!

I always loved it on Junior Choice, "trip trap, trip trap, hop and skip, hop and skip. Hippetty hop, clippetty clop....over the rickety bridge (full of cars speeding)"

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 30 September 2004 7.17am
Ivanhoe wrote:
> So, let me get this straight: you agree that
> there's a problem with dangerous and overcrowded
> roads, and the way to solve it is business as
> usual for cars and penalties for pedestrians?
>
> You're a troll, right?
>

> ...if you press it, they will come

Press what Ivanhoe? The button that turns your eyes on? Sorry couldn't resist that. :)

Do we live in the same town? I drive, walk and cycle in this city every day and there are many dangerous spots but I don't see the terrifying vision you have of "dangerous and overcrowded roads". I was merely proposing we should also consider that applying some of the laws we already have, and introducing some from countries with better pedestrian accident rates than ours, might be worth considering alongside a sensible raft of motoring legislation.

Consider who is the troll from this definition: To troll is "Deliberately post an offensive or contentious message in a public message base, with the specific intent of provoking flames." Looking at the response your message got from me I guess you qualify too! :)

Monday 4 October 2004 9.47am
Isn't the average speed of traffic in central London these days 11MPH anyaway, as fast as horsedrawn traffic?

When there have been discussions of this nature before, I liked the argument that the law should protect all, but start with the weakest.

So traffic law should look after the pedestrian first, then the cyclist, then the motorbike, then the car/taxi, then the van, then the lorry/bus. And obviously all 4X4s and bendy buses should be burnt.

So pedestrian crossings should be there to protect pedestrians in places where traffic is busy, not there to control pedestrians. (nb if pedestrians were required to use crossings, think how many more crossings there would be and how much slower the traffic would move)

For cyclists the answer is a mix of off road cycle lanes and making sure roads are wide enough, so there is space for all. And the police arresting people for dangerous cycling.

As people have pointed out the problem with motorbikes, cars/taxis, vans, lorries/buses, is bad driving rather than speed. So more police to arrest for using a mobile etc. And firm action on people who drive while banned etc.

Finally, does anyone know the stats on accidents and young men driving? At what age should we let men behind the wheel? Or should we restrict the kind of car they can drive? Or could we do a psychometric test to make sure reckles types don't get a licence?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions