London SE1 community website

Stop the congestion charging scheme

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
tom
Tuesday 9 July 2002 5.13pm
I think the point has been missed here. The zone is not too big, its too small. It should be much further out. All that will happen is the people who drive up the motorways to London will just park outside the zone and use the cheap buses and the, (probably soon to be, cheap) tube. They are cheap because Lononers are funding Ken's schemes to make them cheap through the GLA addition to the council tax. So Londoners will be funding the people from Maidstone and Reading and Colchester and all those other places in the commuter belt, and, will have them all parking around the zone clogging up all sorts of places including esate parking areas etc. If the zone were bigger, AND if there were some incentive at the start of the journey to use public transport then maybe that would be better. Say, an economic combined parking and railway ticket. That way people who have to drive to the station ( which is actually a lot of people) would see some benefit of using the trains. Finally to those who carp on and on and on and on about people driving around in tin boxes need to get real. For a long time we haven't put people where the work is, the work where the people are and the transport to fill the gap - and it's not just a better transport system it;s a relevent transport system. There is no point in having trains working on time if they don't go where people need to get to.
Harry
Tuesday 9 July 2002 7.00pm
'Stop the charge!'

This is the war-cry of yesterday's people. The congestion charge is the best piece of news transport in London has had in years, and history will judge those who try to resist it rather harshly.
Tuesday 9 July 2002 7.31pm
Its not the charge we are necessarily objecting to - its the stupidity of the mechanism and the blinkered implementation that's annoying so many.

And as my old economics A-level taught me - the best way to spread a fixed cost (5) - spread it over larger usage. Supporters of the current proposal may be about to score a classic own-goal. We should be thinking about discouraging (through pricing) marginal use.

But that's economics, and old Kenny is a bit thick - we all know that.
Tuesday 9 July 2002 10.22pm
Tom you may well be right in saying the area is too small..but as for commuters driving to the edge of the zone and parking up....where?
tom
Wednesday 10 July 2002 9.59am
It will be interesting to watch. They will park on unrestricted streets, estates where they can get in, supermarket car parks etc. Then the charges will come in but how do you discriminate? Of course you don't so Londoners around the zone (and inside for that matter) will be paying more and more. So Londoners will be paying to keep the commuters out! As an example I live in a flat on a road that only goes to the blocks of flats in my development. There is only one way in and one way out. I have a parking space with my number on it and my partner can park either in a vistor space or on the road. There is no hassle, no one gets stressed about parking it is not a problem. The council are now 'consulting' about parking charges. They now want to put boxes and lines all over the area, pay someone to police it and charge the residents for it. I say again whilst charging for driving in London is ineveitable, Londoners have been fooled, it will us paying for it, not the long distance commuter. This scheme is just a political experiment being played out by lots of people who don't live in the middle of or come from London. If it works they'll take all teh credit and we'll pay and if it doesn't they'll be oof doing something else, and we'll pay.
Wednesday 10 July 2002 6.57pm
Your probably right Tom....I'm livid...I read today in the Daily Mail that Good Old Ken gets a Taxi to and from work paid for by us...if that's true...what a sexual hypocrite...I recently have been moaning to TFL (traffic for London) about the absymal 21 bus service, not just the delays etc. 35 minutes wait are quite common....the latest complaint about a cretin of a driver who sails past request stops...(thats unusual)

In the e-mail I received back it stated that 97% of the buses are running normally on that route....fiddlesticks!

I wonder if 97% of Ken's buses run too..? seems to me the percentage should be reversed.
Thursday 11 July 2002 11.12am
Sexual hypocrite?
The Lady Miss Jo Jo
Thursday 11 July 2002 12.53pm
I agree with congestion charging in principle (but then I don't drive....) but agree with those on this forum who say there should be a better way of doing it.

Does the boundary follow the boundary of the current zone 1?
tom
Thursday 11 July 2002 1.25pm
Zone 1 ish! It goes along marylebone road, pentonville/city road, skirts the city, over tower bridge to the elephant around to vauxhall bridge, victoria, park lane, edgware road back to Marylebone road. One of the fun bits will be the M40, the down ramp of which jumps edgware road and lands on Marylebone road. Anyone that does not get off before will instantly have a problem. The last exit is the one that takes the traffic through Paddington, loads of excitement will be had around there.
Thursday 11 July 2002 2.09pm
Ste.

I was trying to be polite.....I should have said a bucking hypocrite! wiv an eff......
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions