London SE1 community website

Stop the congestion charging scheme

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Confused
Thursday 11 July 2002 4.00pm
having looked at the tfl website, can we, or can we not, drive up tower bridge road for free?
Thursday 11 July 2002 4.06pm
I hope so...
tom
Thursday 11 July 2002 4.06pm
My understanding is that the roads forming the boundary are part of the zone so if you're on 'em, you're in it...
But as ever, I may be wrong
Friday 12 July 2002 6.25am
your right above people driving up Tom, while having the normal half hour wait in Finsbury Square for a bus ( I hope you follow Londonse1 Ken!) I spoke to two people who drive from Bromley and park up near the Old Kent Road...intrigued I asked them where they manage to park, one parked in the Magnet car park where her boyfriend works and the other parked in Tescos!
So when the charge is introduced, shoppers wont be able to park because all the commuters! so Tescos etc.will probably charge everyone to park and shop!
tom
Friday 12 July 2002 10.30am
The surrey quays tesco already has signs deterring would be commuter parking to stop them parkinbg and using the east london line or the jubilee line. I think you are right any organisation with a car park will have to take action to stop the interlopers. More charging will be applied to street parking and estate parking. And they will have to make it expensive enough to make people pay the charge or take the train. There's no point in charging less than a fiver a day!
I still think that the overall losers here will be Londoners we will be paying lots more to live in our own city and be subsidising commuters to travel on the cheap transport.
Thursday 18 July 2002 9.56pm
I am definitely against congestion charging. I feel that it is a violation of my civil rights. The tubes and buses are already at a dangerous and unsafe level of crowding during the rush hours. They cannot take any more passengers. It is a charge that will hit the poorer members of the community, those visiting aged p's and hospitals, etc. It will hit business especially those who use London markets to supply their goods. It will create congestion in residential areas. I did not vote for a London Mayor as I knew that the only result of this folly would be to charge residents more and the cost of the mayor's entourage would be excessive as they take every opportunity to have meetings which are expensively catered and parties where they congratulate themselves on doing things which no-one cares or knows about. Since Ken was appointed what has he done. Kick Ken into the Kerb and stop Kongestion charging.
tom
Friday 19 July 2002 10.10am
Phew, that's a lot of subjects! On the charging front I think it is inevitable that something needs doing about it. The key issue for me is who should pay to go where and up to now, as I've said boringly in other mails, I think Londoners will end up bearing the majority of the cost to allow people from outside London to get in cheaply. However, it seems the inmates have really taken over in the rail regulators office. I heard on the radio today that there is a proposal to raise trains fares during busy times because the trains are crowded...? But, isn't what this is all about, getting people off the roads and onto trains. If this looney proposal goes through then people will look at the relative costs again and decide that maybe driving isn't so bad. So, we could find ourselves in the nightmare situation that nothing changes, except everyone, car drivers, train users and Londoners in general will pay more.
On the subject on London Mayor, we must keep the principle, London was the only capital city in the world without a single administrative authority and it shows big time. Should it be Ken? That's a different question?
Friday 19 July 2002 11.34am
Can someone please explain to me how the congestion charging zone residents' payment scheme will work? Will we have a window tag or what? Or do we just pay annually 200 up front to Ken's boys? What's this about "paper-based"? How do they kow if I have a voucher for the day? Couldn't find anything intelligible on the TfL web site.
Friday 19 July 2002 11.40am
From the TfL site...

Residents' 90% discount
Residents in the charging zone will be eligible to register a private vehicle for a 90% discount from the charge for a minimum of one week. The discount is subject to verification of residency status and vehicle ownership, using the same rules as apply in the City of Westminster and London Borough of Camden for residents' parking permits. An annual 10 charge would also be required to cover administration and verification costs. Residents with a parking permit, who live inside the central zone, could park all day in a residents' parking bay within their local parking zone without paying any congestion charge, providing they do not move the vehicle during the hours of operation of the scheme (i.e. 7am-6.30pm) Monday to Friday.
Friday 19 July 2002 11.50am
Yes, thanks James. I read that. But does it mean that as a resident, if I pay the 200 up front, I don't get any credit for *not* going by car? So why would I walk , cycle or catch the bus? When I've already paid for a whole year's motoring.

And what residents in their right minds will risk having to spend 5 for a single-day non-discountable ticket when a weekly one costs only 3.50?

It's just about raising money, not solving congestion , isn't it?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions