London SE1 community website

moving to long lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 12 July 2002 12.53pm
Hi
I dont live on Long Lane but not that far away. I live near E&C tube. Ive lived there for couple of years. Maybey im not the best person to speak about the area (being fairly new to it) but i was speaking from my own experience which has been OK.
Monday 15 July 2002 10.39am
Long Lane is fine, I've lived on the road for two and a half years and have had no trouble. Another bonus is that the best chippy in SE1 is located there.
If you like chips that is.
Monday 15 July 2002 9.26pm
Hi Alex.

The Chippy is the only thing I agree with, its the best always was. Happy Munching.
jac
Thursday 18 July 2002 5.43pm
I've been a long lane resident for 7 years (SE1 12 yrs) and frequently walk home late at night alone and never had any trouble. Not noticed the prostitutes either , nor been propositoned. Watch out when it's raining though the poor road drainage means your like to get a soaking once in a while. Traffic can be a bit of a problem in the mornings and evening but its not so bad at the weekends. Oh yes and you'll find it a bit of a building site for the next few years. But all in all it a fine place to live. I grew up in the far safer and green country side but you can die of bordom there!
Sunday 21 July 2002 11.12am
thanks for all the tips. one question - where is the nearest decent supermarket?
Sunday 21 July 2002 11.43am
Well Rose, you do have a choice of places to go for supermarkets, there is Tesco Old Kent Road and Surrey Quays, all a short bus ride away if you dont have your own transport, there is a small Safeway in New Kent Road with a bigger store in Walworth Road. There is Lidl and Aldi in Old Kent Road, Lidl being within walking distance. Sainsburys is at New Cross by the station, not sure if there is a nearer one, perhaps someone else will correct me. And of course, Long Lane has its corner shops for emergencies and Tower Bridge Road has about 3 or 4 mini markets (although a bit dearer and less choice than the bigger stores). In the plans for the new Bermondsey Square/Long Lane development if I am correct I believe there is going to be a new supermarket (Tesco).
jac
Monday 22 July 2002 12.39pm
You can walk to the old kent road tesco about 15 to 20 minutes depending which end of long lane you are. A taxi back is 3.50 (use freephone in the store). If I want to go to sainsburys I go to nine elms.
There are no plans for a supermarket at the Bermondsey square developemnt but there is for a metro size store if the plans for Tabard square (other end of long lane) go ahead. Also there are plans fo a metro size store at more london site (tooley street)
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions