London SE1 community website

Gerry Adams at Southwark Cathedral

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 20 October 2004 9.58am
Paul,
I'm not comparing Northern Ireland to South Africa. I'd also defend the Cathedral providing a platform for any right winger. Red Bus, it's just as amusing for an Englishman to listen to the Irish expounding on history, even more amusing to find, as an Englishman, I'm often held personally responsible for many of the worlds ills.
Yours, in extreme ignorance,
barkyhead.
Wednesday 20 October 2004 10.22am
If the good people of Northern Ireland can put up with Gerry Adams as an MP and colleagues of his as ministers then surely the good people of SE1 can put up with him sermonising from the pulpit of their local cathedral.

It is ridiculous to suggest that this particular time "was especially crass and insensitive". Can you point out to us a week or even a day of the calendar that isn't associated with, or the anniversary of, an atrocity committed during the 25 years of violence in Northern Ireland?

"we should ask whether giving him such an opportunity demonstrates a lack of respect for those who have suffered at the hands of him and his supporters"

To show respect for all those that needlessly suffered at the hands of Sinn Fein / IRA (and everyone else with guns in Northern Ireland) and, most importantly, to prevent further suffering in the future, everyone needs to realise that we have to talk with (and listen to .. from the pulpit or otherwise) people like Gerry Adams. If you want to do anything else you are going down the deadend that kept the Northern Ireland conflict going for so long in the first place. If you want to insist on grovelling, public apologies for past behaviour before engaging in a dialogue for the future then I would be suspicious that you care more about grandstanding than peace.

The Dean has nothing to be defensive about - it seems to me that he is upholding the Christian tradition here.
Wednesday 20 October 2004 10.37am
Neil wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> It is ridiculous to suggest that this particular
> time "was especially crass and insensitive". Can
> you point out to us a week or even a day of the
> calendar that isn't associated with, or the
> anniversary of, an atrocity committed during the
> 25 years of violence in Northern Ireland?
>

Yup.
Today is good as is next Wednesday and Thursday, oh, and the bit between Xmas and New Year - more?
Wednesday 20 October 2004 4.07pm
i LOVE IT! 'reluctantly turned to violence' - yes, ive often felt that way myself.....

Wednesday 20 October 2004 4.08pm
Over 3,500 people died in the events related to the 'Troubles' in Northern Ireland. Nearly 50,000 were injured. How can you be sure today isn't the anniversary of one of those atrocities?

(I admit I only did the sums and supposed there could be no such date on the basis of probability ... that's a statistical training for you ... limited.)
Wednesday 20 October 2004 4.13pm
mate, the troubles began way before any.... aaagh, i have to stop now (agree with red bus)

Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions