London SE1 community website

Pubs in and around Elephant and Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 18 November 2004 4.41pm
yes, it's probably not even in SE!1

you definately don't want to be going there!
Friday 19 November 2004 11.16am
Tried the Lord Clyde last night on your recommendation ...
was only intending on meeting a couple of mates for one
or two but, in age old tradition, I ended up there all night.

Friday 19 November 2004 11.21am
and it was terible - right (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
Friday 19 November 2004 12.01pm

I've been not recommending the Lord C for ages - it is pretty unpleasant, and full of dodgy characters.

On the other hand... BELUSHI'S would be my top tip for the week - great food, great atmosphere, that bar's got it all.

:o)

Friday 19 November 2004 12.07pm
Yup, absolutely terrible ...
I'll definitely not be recommending such a dive too widely.
I second that Belushi's top tip too. Such an atmosphere.
Friday 19 November 2004 12.24pm
At the risk of repeating myself, the best pub in the area:
In the newly formed Alpine foothills, through which, the Romantische Strasse (which has now replaced the Old Kent Road) now snakes, I would build Tharg's cider house, The Bricklayer's Arms. Here you will be able choose from any of the 5 draught ciders, and three draught perrys, that are always on offer. There will also be several draught beers from England, Germany, Belgium, and the Czech Republic. There will also be an enormous range of fine wines. Non-drinkers will be most welcome, with an array of infusions, cordials, and freshly pressed fruit juices. All of the above will be available at 50p a glass.
Discrete entertainment will be provided in one of the bars, where a string quartet will play. A Dean organ will be installed in another of the bars: http://www.deanorgans.co.uk/deanorganshomepage.htm while another bar will be home to the SE1 Debating Society.
There will be a very large beer garden, where you will find a collection of aeolian harps.
Pub games can be played: darts, quoits, cribbage, and dominos. There'll also be a skittle alley. There will be food too, with concessions run by Diwana's Bhel Poori House of Drummond Street, Mildred's of Lexington Street, kebab's from Tas, fish and chips from Olley's, and all day breakfasts from Borough Café.
The Bricklayer's will be open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, and you will find yourself rubbing shoulders with the most eclectic and cosmopolitan bunch, covering all age ranges.
Free gondolas will ferry customers to and from their homes via the network of canals which also should be in SE1. And the toilets will be immaculate.

Friday 19 November 2004 12.26pm
Ooooh, could you have a pub dog, and a real fire as well?
Friday 19 November 2004 12.27pm

Heaven!
Friday 19 November 2004 12.46pm
Damn, I'd forgotten about the fire and the dog.
Sunday 21 November 2004 5.58pm
red bus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I am concerned that the more people talk about
> the Lord Clyde thye more likely it will be filled
> with smarmy newcomers to the area rather than
> hoary old-timers like us - ssshhhh

Does this same strategy apply to the thread about the Fort?

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions