London SE1 community website

Every had one of those days...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 24 July 2002 12.33pm
What's The Loft like foodwise and atmos?
Wednesday 24 July 2002 7.26pm
The food at The Loft has been described as "Pacific Rim" and the chef has collected dishes from his travels in Thailand, Australia and South America. But also includes some English favourites like roast rabbit. Quality is first class -- this is not your usual hotel restaurant.

I have only been there four times, on weekday lunch times, when the atmosphere is "very quiet". Decor is modern minimalist (think City Rhodes, but smaller).

Grand Vins Mercur wine list has fixed 5 mark-up.

There's bound to be a review somewhere on inSE1.
Here we go...
Monday 29 July 2002 9.05am
I have been to the Loft a few times for dinner and the food is superb. The chef trained with Peter Gordon of the Sugar Club, the original and best proponent of fusion/Pacific Rim food in London. The food and wine are excellent value, sadly atmosphere wise it can be a bit dead.

Sunday lunch seems to be a difficult time, if you want pub food the Founders Arms does some, not great but the beer is and the location is fantastic.

But Baltic on Blackfriars road has Jazz on Sundays, early evening and the bar food is excellent and not too pricey. The People's Place in the RFH is meant to be very good but I've never been, excellent views though.
Monday 29 July 2002 11.14am
Bankside is one of the best restaurants we've eaten at in SE1 and we've quite literally done em all. Great food, value, portions, service, atmosphere, comfort etc, etc. Hidden away but a REAL gem.
Tuesday 30 July 2002 8.17am
where's bankside tess? It sounds good
Izzy
Thursday 1 August 2002 2.15pm
I went to Loft not long after it opened after reading a review. The food/flavours are excellent, but I found the portions a bit on the nouvelle side and still felt hungry after a 3-course meal and I usually only eat 2 courses. The bill for two was over 120 and I think you should be able to rely on having your hunger quelled for that.
Michael Loser
Thursday 1 August 2002 4.34pm
Kate: Bankside Restaurant is in Sumner Street, on the west side of the Southwark Bridge south approach road. There is an entry in the restaurant/pub guide on this site.

I have never been there but a friend said it is one of the best in SE1.
Thursday 1 August 2002 4.51pm
I can't praise Bankside enough, the food there was really good, I had the steak and my god I'd hate too see the size of the cow it came from, it was massive, now I can eat but even I couldn't finish it. I think they are still doing an offer of 2 courses for about a tenner I don't think I've seen value like that for good quality food anywhere else in London.

The service is excellent too, one thing they can't be working to huge profit margins so if you do go tip well, let's encourage this sort of place.
Friday 2 August 2002 8.51am
www.banksiderestaurants.co.uk or check out a review on www.squaremeal.co.uk just type in the name.
Friday 2 August 2002 8.54am
PS. Know what you mean about the steak! It was huge and delicious. The best in fact ive had in London. Even the service is outstanding, each table has a buzzer that sends a live page to your waiter/waitress. I think the staff quite like this as most people are rather timid about pressing it and it tends to bring smiles all round.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions