London SE1 community website

Fame Academy comes to SE1?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Wednesday 5 January 2005 9.23am
Whilst I don't relish the idea of a repeat of the DB fiasco, someone has at least wound up the old school clock which is now chiming on the hour again.
Wednesday 5 January 2005 10.44am
I have no idea whether it is related but I thought (just for devilment) that I would share these snatches of mobile phone conversation overheard on a train from Victoria yesterday...

"... we won't have the producer full time until next week"
"... still casting for judges as well as talent..."
"... researcher can't get contact numbers for any of the people I thought were good"
"... Andrew Lloyd Webber"

Sounds like car-crash TV in the making...

Wednesday 5 January 2005 5.14pm
I personally can't see Fame Academy causing any massive public onslaught on the area, they haven't had any huge crowds in the previous series, so the David Blaine thing most surely will not be repeated. I wonder if they are planning to use the school as the academy as well, as the contestants also live on the premises during the show. But still I would only expect a few teenage girls hanging around a see a glimpse of whoever might be their favourite in it... otherwise there will be little to see on the outside, so I can't see people blocking the traffic for this.
Wednesday 5 January 2005 5.31pm
I agree with Nelson that SLP almost certainly mixed up X-Factor with Fame Academy.

But the reason that Fame Academy needs a new home is that further series at its old home are not allowed because the council refused permission because local residents complained about the noise and disruption.

Maybe Alan will know more about it after his meeting with Endemol (I am glad that they were wise enough to consult locals at least).
Wednesday 5 January 2005 5.53pm
Found this: http://fame.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds6032.html

I also tend to remember, that there was a problem with the use of that old venue, I think they had not applied for the right kind of license for the use.
Monday 10 January 2005 4.50pm
Have just come back from a meeting with Endemol at Fair Community Housing services. It's going to be more or less as Nelson predicted. Nothing for crowds to see - it will all take place inside the school. The largest crowd they had at Highgate was 6! As Neil says there were some complaints at the last venue but I was told they were mostly to do with transport facilities for the audience. Highgate Village is quite cut off as regards Public transport compared to Tower Bidge.
The contestants will be living in the school.
The audience each night will consist of approximately 100 friends and families of those taking part and an additional 300 with pre allocated tickets. There will be no entrance on the night. However the producers are anxious to have local people amonst the audience and when I get details of how to apply for tickets I will post them here.
There is a risk of some noise emanating from the building but I have been assured that it will be very closely monitored to make sure it is not excessive.
At present the producers have not agreed their schedule with the BBC so I cannot give you any information on dates or timings, except that it will be in prime time TV hours.
So all in all I don't think we have anything to worry about. I hope I'm not wrong!
On the positive side apparently they have raised some 750,000 for Red Nose Day so far.

Wednesday 12 January 2005 5.29pm
I hope my friend enters this.

By day, she works in an SE1 shipyard as a welder. But by night, in Belushi's she comes alive....

"What a feeling"
Monday 17 January 2005 4.57pm
A word of warning. 400 people leaving that building at the end of the evening, together with several hundred Endemol production staff will NOT be insignificant. You only need to ask residents at Elstree why they have saught injunctions against the producers for late night mid-week evictions because of the noise.

Whilst I'm delighted that they will be supporting the local community with their wallets - this is going to cause disruption. It is a 24 hour operation - if you live nearby you may need to have the Environmental Health number close to hand...
Thursday 3 March 2005 8.26pm
So now that Fame Academy is on, has anybody been disrupted by the production? I guess the bad singing on right now is the worst thing about it anyway...

I guess there won't be any more shows though, as BBC has been told to stop dumbing down its schedule...
Friday 4 March 2005 6.25pm
not in the slightest, really. great for the area.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions