London SE1 community website

Real Xmas Tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 20 December 2004 11.25am
I think "poncy" is a great word to describe how BM is becoming. Yes, it was always on the expensive side; agreed, it is an asset to the area and is a magnificient achievement - a stick in the face of the Tescopoly supermarket culture we have these days.

But I, along with many of my neighbours, no longer shop at BM. Why? Because increasingly over the last couple of years it has become "The Place To Be Seen" rather than a place to buy good food. Thousands of "Like To Consider Themselves Trendy" types sporting their Hoxton Fins, pushing little Jocasta in her three-wheeled buggy.

It's all a bit like Private Eye's "Grim Up North London" cartoon now.

On another topic: has anyone noticed that Southwark Council have adorned virtually every lampost in the area with posters crying out "Your Valuables Are at Risk", "Who's stealing your stereo?", "Lock up your daughters", etc. What a beautiful addition to our street furniture: scare the pants out of people at Xmas time...
Monday 20 December 2004 11.34am
I bought mine at the Lebanese Butcher and Fruit & Veg shop on Tower Bridge Road. If you are a regular there, they give you a discount. I bought a very nice one for 25.
Monday 20 December 2004 1.08pm
Martin, in a sense you echo my point about the market being treated like a theme park by a proportion of visitors - inevitable when it is promoted as part of the tourist circuit. However, I take issue with your sweeping judgement about the majority of people now going there being 'trendy types' and that this puts local people off shopping there themselves. In my own experience that is simply not true - most of the locals I know who all still use the market shop at non-peak times because they know by Saturday 11am the place is heaving. I have spent some time recently helping some friends on the market and, in my limited experience, the majority of our customers / visitors have been not been the type you describe and are very interested in discovering more about the products on offer.

The debate about knee-capping baby buggies has been well rehearsed in this forum before, as has the observation by many traders that there are a lot of 'grazers' who may only actually spend money on a latte as they wander round - it's part of the price to pay for being successful and well publicised.

Anyway, what's wrong with being among the thousands 'who like to consider themselves trendy' - they are not somehow inferior beings - so long as they leave 'Jacosta' at home they are all welcome!
Monday 20 December 2004 1.09pm

Roots & Shoots off Fitzalan Street in SE11 whilst they are doing building works (only a couple of hundred yards outside SE1!) are a charity helping disabled & disadvantaged youngsters.

http://www.roots-and-shoots.org/home.html

I always buy my tree there, and did again this year - 35 for a 6 footer - and it's very good.

Regards,

Loafer
Monday 20 December 2004 1.49pm
the greengroccers on great Sthk St (nearly opposite Ollie's) sells trees (at, presumably, "local" prices)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 20 December 2004 1.59pm
In defence of Borough Market I bought a very beautiful thick healthy tree there for 15-hardly a 'poncy' price!

Christianna
Monday 20 December 2004 4.04pm
has it got 'LB Southwark' on it?

Only joking. BM is a wonderful resource to have on one's doorstep, and, if you've trooped all the way from Dulwich or hampstead, of course you are going to spend and 'show out' with Piers or Jemima in the old pram.
Monday 20 December 2004 11.52pm
Picked up our lovely midsized (5ft) tree from Elephant n Castle
shopping centre... although I am admittedly still surprised that it
is a decent one, from there. Cost me 14/15 ... and I got one of
those massive twiggy things for the front door for a further 6.

That along with the large bottle of port and the big tin of Quality
Streets, and we're nearly ready!
Tuesday 21 December 2004 1.35am
I noticed them in Elephant shopping centre today too (at the "florist"). Looked quite healthy and reasonably priced. Anyone seen the alarming purple Father Christmas in the window of Pricebusters?
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions