London SE1 community website

SE1's Lost Cinemas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Monday 31 January 2005 1.18am
I love your remininscences Jan and would dearly like to meet you sometime. In an echo of Ms. Jo on another thread, can we possibly tempt you out of your schedule with the promise of a delicious morsel?
Monday 31 January 2005 9.13am
Plum, I do waffle on a lot don't I....food always holds a place dear to my heart or even stomach! you'd probably be disappointed and expect some geriatric granny with blond high-lights and pink shell suit ...geriatric granny would be correct though, more like the granny from the Daily Express complete wiv 'andbag & stik...hair scraped back again in a bun as I have probably said before as I repeat myself quite a bit I've been told.
I will be out in the next few weeks if thats okay?
Monday 31 January 2005 4.05pm
slightly off topic...
Charterhouse-in-Southwark has recently begun showing film classics. Casablanca was first up, more to come. OK, this film club is for over-50s, but don a Bogart raincoat and you may get in!
More details from Gabrielle on 020 7357 7733
Thursday 3 February 2005 11.48pm
Just stumbled across these 1963 photos from the LCC/GLC collection on the EVA archive site. Am I right to assume that the former Star Music Hall in Abbey Street was what later became the Star cinema???

"Front elevation of disused building"

"Derelict interior and stage viewed from gallery"

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 3 February 2005 11.49pm by Lang Rabbie.
Friday 4 February 2005 6.24pm
Here's my contribution to the lost cinema list -

the Post Office Directory for 1915 had a cinematographic theatre listed at 45and 46 Lower Marsh and this is also marked on the OS map of 1914. It didn't seem to have an imposing name as it was just listed with the proprietor, Tucker Solomon. It had disappeared by the time of the 1920 PO directory.

The buildings on that site now look basically like nineteenth century houses though they've been drastically mucked about. I assume the cinema was somehow fitted in behind them or else it was extremely small. I have seen an old photograph from around that time of the adjoining building and you can make out what I asume are the cinema buildings in the background - the same houses as now but festooned with elaborate stucco ornaments.
Friday 4 February 2005 6.58pm
Lang Rabbie, is there any photos of the Trocette? I remember Tommy Steele programme showing him walking along the semi-derelict building internally, and I think he mentioned about the white ball on the screenon Saturday mornings I just wondered if I missed any ?

Jan the Old Drunk One! I kid ye not!
Friday 4 February 2005 9.08pm
Jan

I've never seen any pics of the Trocette myself - but that doesn't mean that there might not be some at the John Harvard library!

From what I've been told it is best remembered for the Wurlitzer (particularly at the Saturday shows) rather than the architecture - was this so, Jan?

I did a quick search on the commercial Getty Images site (which now includes the Hulton picture library) - no mention of the Troc, but quite a few pics of Tommy Steele in his 1957 prime!

http://www.gettyimages.com/
Friday 4 February 2005 10.05pm
The cinema at 44-45 Lower Marsh was called the Cosy Cinema. It was owned by the Cosy Cinema of Lambeth Ltd. It seems to have opened in 1911, and seated 400. I've got no record of it after 1914.

Luke
Saturday 5 February 2005 11.56am
Lang Rabbie - yes those pictures are of the Star Cinema, below is a very bad scan of a poor photocopy of a picture in the John Harvard. The photo is from 1937. The film posters seem to be for Aunt Sally, a 1933 film starring Cicely Courtneidge (you can just make out her name in the bottom poster) - see http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0023772/

Jan - below the Star picture is an even worse picture of the Trocette (taken when it was already long closed...). So named as it was owned by the people who owned the Trocadero, so it was the mini-troc: in some listings it is Troc-ette instead of Trocette. (not sure if that is Elephant's old Trocadero or Leicester Square's - I think I read it was the latter, but that's just a desperate trawl of my fallible memory). The photo is from 1961 (it's the grey mess to the right of the Horseshoe Pub!).

RichardW & Luke - I hadn't come across the Cosy Cinema yet, another addition to the ever-growing list! (41 in Lambeth and about 58 in Southwark so far - and I know I'm nowhere near yet).

One day soon my Lost Cinemas web site will be up and then the experts and historians on SE1 can perhaps fill in some of the many gaps... just finding time between other projects, oh and the day job...

Enjoy the rest of the weekend
mark.

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 5 February 2005 12.02pm by markandjoan.
Saturday 5 February 2005 12.30pm
Remember the 'old days' when you could go to the cinema at 2pm and stay all day if you wanted.
Started with some ads, a short, a cartoon, Pathe news reel and then the main event.
The organ rose from the depths and the words were on the screen.
Popcorn and a coke didn't cost more than the ticket, and there was a mad rush for the exit after
the last show before the national anthem started.
Bring back the flea pits I say. Today's cinemas don't have the same atmosphere.
Remember the all-nighters which started at around 11pm until 6am. Five westerns or horror, and
breaks between each for refreshments. You could go on a friday or saturday night with a carrier
bag with crisps, sarnies, drinks etc; and have a great night -- everyone cheering when the hero
went down to the cellar to make sure there really was an axe wielding homicidal maniac there.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions