London SE1 community website

SE1's Lost Cinemas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Saturday 5 February 2005 1.17pm
It's very cheeky and forbidden, but at multiplex cinemas what's stopping you from going into another screen when your film has finished?

Tried the Peckham Multiplex last week and found the cinema very comfortable and clean (if a little too warm), and the picture and sound quality good, quite a bargain for 2.99! Shame about the council run car park above where bizarrely level 5 and 6 are just above street level, and the lifts become people's homes after dark. Quite interesting how this used to be a Sainsbury's and it shows in the huge size of the car park lifts, and the fact you have to go up a ramp to get to the screens (obviously to allow for some rake).
Wednesday 9 February 2005 8.37am
Lang Rabbie mentioned above that the Trocette might have been best remembered for its Wurlitzer . . . You might have been thinking about the Wurlitzer in the 3,400 seat Trocadero at Elephant & Castle, which then found a place in Edric Hall at South Bank Uni. (but is now back in storage with the Cinema Organ Society following the university's redevelopment of Edric Hall in to a proper theatre.).

It was the largest Wurlitzer ever shipped to the UK.

http://www.reedpipes.co.uk/ has a comprehensive history of this amazing beast, and this photo showing what cinemas really should be like:

If you know of a lovelier cinema interior, I'd love to see it!! And although i'm not the world's biggest fan of organ music, it does seem to work in a cinema - when I went to see Titanic (I know, but I was a bit younger then) at the Odeon Leicester Square, just after its major refubishment, a visible ripple went through the audience when we saw the organ at the front (especially as the organist had to speed up the last few bars to get them in before he disappeared in to the floor!).

oh alright, here's the organ as well;

mark

Wednesday 9 February 2005 9.43am
Mark, the trocette did have an organ, I remember singing along on a saturday morning at the saturday morning children cinema shows- what spectacular architecture, what a wonderful organ,thanks to all for those pictures..:-)
Wednesday 9 February 2005 10.06am
According to this cinema organ enthusiast's site
http://theatreorgans.com/au/opus/CI1/CITY142.htm
the Trocette got a Wurlitzer (shipped in 1928) before the Trocadero did (1930)!

The Trocette's organ apparently went to a private collector in Australia and is presumably still in the Melbourne suburb of Caulfield.
http://avoca.vicnet.net.au/~ohta/ohta_gaz/vicdata.htm
[There seem to be an awful lot of Australian Wurlitzer enthusiasts!]
Wednesday 9 February 2005 10.37am
And finally on the Trocette's organ

From the Notes and Queries page of BIOS REPORTER (journal of the British Institute of Organ Studies) April 2001, Volume XXV, No.2

"[Played] on an 1853 Walker in Bermondsey - tonally the organ is excellent, lovely light pressure stuff. The organist has produced a scheme which would eventually transform it into a replica of the organ he plays on Saturday mornings at the 'Trocette', Elephant and Castle, and I am doing my best to jump on that." (letter from Noel Mander, [organ builder] 1952)

Anyone around who remembers who this organist might have been - I assume the church organ reference is to St Mary Magdalen?

Wednesday 9 February 2005 11.29am
' We cum a.....long on a saterday morning...greeting every boddy wiv a smile - smile - smile'

the only line of the song I can remember that we all had to sing at the start of the programme...:-)
Wednesday 9 February 2005 11.45am
A quick Google (well i'm doing a course on google searching today so it was inevitable):

"We come along on Saturday morning, greeting everybody with a smile.
We come along on Saturday morning, knowing it's well worthwhile.
As members of the [...insert cinema name here...] club, we all intend to be
good citizens when we grow up, and champions of the free.
We come along on Saturday morning, greeting everybody with a
smile, SMILE, SMILE....
greeting everybody with a smile."

Several results for the search, and the name of the club was clearly interchangeable (Odeon, ABC or whatever cinema you were in - clearly they all had a unique club - or that's what they wanted you to think anyway!!)

SOURCE: The extract above was from a Genealogy site: RootsWeb.com
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GEN-TRIVIA-ENG/1999-07/0931101321
reminiscing about her Saturday morning cinema memories...

mark

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 9 February 2005 11.49am by markandjoan.
Wednesday 9 February 2005 12.05pm
Slightly [!!] off topic too but it was the mention of the wurlitzer ... brought back happy memories of the Tower Ballroom at Blackpool

If you have never seen this magnificent interior check out
http://www.organfax.co.uk/players/kevingrunill.html
(but scroll past Kevin ... no relation/affiliation ...)

Back to cinemas now, if you please ...
Wednesday 9 February 2005 12.31pm
Mark - thank you so much......at last I can sing the rest of the flipping song and give my family a rest from my famous comments about the saturday morning piktures!...:-)
Wednesday 9 February 2005 5.18pm
I am currently writing a play set in lambeth at the national theatre studio . If anyone knows a cinema that closed in the late sixties around the Waterloo area it would be greatly appreciated.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 4 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions