London SE1 community website

SE1's Lost Cinemas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Wednesday 9 February 2005 10.52pm
The News Theatre, Waterloo Station perhaps, closed 14th March 1970.

Over to those with longer memories for more details...
Thursday 10 February 2005 12.34pm
Many thanks. If anyone does have specific details about it, particularly the interior, that would be great!
Friday 18 February 2005 12.14pm
I spoke to a ninety five year old last night, who has all her faculties and she remembers a cinema in Lower Road ( near a bank) called Red Lion..? and two other people mentioned a cinema called The Stork in Jamaica Road...

she mentioned the 'Tuppeny rush' for the Star....
Saturday 2 April 2005 11.56pm
The interest in the LOST CINEMAS of Southwark seems to have dried up?.

I am intersted in several cinemas in South London but can't find much information or photos. Does anyone know about the PALACE, Rotherhithe or GRAND, Bermondsey (I think they both may have been bombed?). Also the OLD KENT PICURE HOUSE and GLOBE, both in the Old Kent Road. (these apparantly kept running into the 1960s?)
Any details would be most helpful.
Thanks, Ritzy
Monday 4 April 2005 4.13pm
i remember the Globe also known as the Fleapit....and the Old Kent road picture house, and the trocette, old kent road astoria the a.b.c. ( now the coronet at elephant, trocadera...and i'm repeating meself agin....:-)
Tuesday 1 April 2008 10.58pm
It seems that the Trocadero's organ, which had been relocated to South Bank University, is leaving SE1 for good.

[I stumbled across this while trying to find out when the Granada Tooting is next open to the public.]

Cinema Organ Society website wrote:
TROCADERO NEWSFLASH

A lot of time has been expended by Society members in the search for a new home for the Society's ex-Trocadero, Elephant & Castle Wurlitzer organ. The pipework alone needs a space equivalent to more than two double-decker buses, and finding an even remotely suitable building with such space to spare, and whose owners are interested in such a project, is not easy.

Nevertheless, we are pleased to advise members that, following numerous meetings and feasibility investigations, the Society has sent a letter of intent to the London Borough of Ealing to install the Trocadero Wurlitzer in the Victoria Hall, Ealing.

... article continues

http://www.cinema-organs.org.uk/NEWS/news.html
Tuesday 1 April 2008 11.31pm
Wednesday 2 April 2008 8.09am
Lang Rabbie...thank you for that, I had forgotten how beautiful it was, no wonder it seemed magical to us cockney kids! How talented any cinema organist must have been it must have taken years to learn.
Wednesday 2 April 2008 9.33am
Readers of this thread might be interested in visiting The Cinema Museum here in Kennington.
The Cinema Museum
The Master's House
2 Dugard Way
London SE11 4TH
Tel 020 7840 2200
http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/
Friday 2 May 2008 4.37pm
Worth flagging up this forthcoming talk on 'The Piccadilly of South London' at Tate Modern's Community Film Club
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/4150

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 5 of 7
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions