London SE1 community website

Boiler repairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 5 January 2005 9.02am
Hi

I have a v expensive boiler insurance scheme at the moment. I was wondering if I could get a few quotes from people who just come out and fix boilers on request to see if it would be cheaper- any recommendations?

Andrea
Wednesday 5 January 2005 9.26am
I had mine serviced by somebody called Maintracts Services Ltd 020 8682 2244 who charge a whopping GBP68 per hour. On the other hand, the chappie who came to do it was very knowledgeable & happy to talk about what he was doing.

Remember though, if your boiler bursts (very unlikely) you may be looking at a bill of #1200 or more for a new one plus installation plus system flushing. If you cannot afford that sort of sum you should think hard about insurance. Otherwise, all insurance is a waste of money - and once you've no longer got insurance on your dishwasher, oven, washing machine, fridge, lawnmower (!) etc. you'll be able to afford repairs as and when they're required.
Wednesday 5 January 2005 10.13am
I know a plumber/heating engineer called Loxley Edwards of AGW Services Ltd. He hasn't done any work in my home, but he did a job at a property in which I have 'an interest' and it was satisfactory. He installed a new hot water boiler. He is based in Vauxhall. Tel: 020 7820 0429, Mob: 07930 984620.
Thursday 6 January 2005 12.59pm

I have used the British Gas service for about two years now (three visits to my old potterton boiler) and I have found them very prompt, reliable and much more knowledgeable than anyone else I have used. But it is pricey. Just got a new boiler and thinking about whether I should still use them.

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions