London SE1 community website

"Shard of glass" - London Bridge Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Saturday 22 January 2005 10.20am
"Much of LBT is residential/hotel space - they certainly won't have any problems finding tenants for that part. Less than half of the building will be offices. In any case, there should be plenty of demand for office space in the next property cycle, when the tower is finished. "

I beg to disagree.

My recollection is that the apartments are very few in number and will occupy only the smallest area topmost floors.

Also, there has over recent years been a flood of hotel building in SE1 (with even more planned in the next 2 years). Has the hotel room occupancy rate recovered enough to support yet another SE1 hotel? Agreed, the location is good for a hotel and the views will be fantastic.

On another point raised earlier in the thread, I remember that London Borough of Southwark's Matthew Mason (?) last year produced a rather scary "dicsussion document" about the ground level planning around London Bridge Station and the proposed towers (yes, plural). I am sure there's a PDF somewhere on the www, but in essence, they plan to raze the existing streetscape in its entirety. Be afraid! These people are *not* your friends!

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 22 January 2005 10.24am by Zoodle.
Saturday 22 January 2005 11.37am
On a related note, those people with HomeChoice should check out the Local Features section of London Tonight Interactive (chanel 504). In the Central London bit of it there is a very interesting clip called Life Inside the Gherkin, explaining in reasonable detail about the design of the interior, and also showing some great shots from the top floors! There's also a feature about the floating gardens near Tower Bridge, amongst others.
Saturday 22 January 2005 1.32pm
Its certainly a speculative monster in aesthetic clothing

The point about it isen't this tower but what will happen after its built.

If they cluster more towers around it as part of Themeas link there won't be much street scape left.
Saturday 22 January 2005 8.33pm
Zoodle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I beg to disagree.
>
> My recollection is that the apartments are very
> few in number and will occupy only the smallest
> area topmost floors.
>

The diagram below is from the official website, http://www.londonbridgetower.com which includes many more renderings and info. As you can see, only floors 5-31 will be offices. There's bound to be a medium-sized corporation or several smaller firms who could fill that space.

The demand for residential space in London is phenomenal at the moment, and the apartments on the upper levels will be amongst the most prestigious in the city, if not the world. They'll be snapped up in no time, as will the hotel areas I'm sure.

Saturday 5 February 2005 11.11am
Some great news today :-)

The Shangri La Hotel group is to open its first European Hotel in LBT. The Shangri La is the first tenant to sign up for the tower....the Five Star hotel is to open a 200 room hotel on storeys 37 to 51.

Any one who has stayed at the Shangri La hotels in Asia will tell you they are fantastic, there couldn't be a better hotel group to move in to the tower.

The small article about this is in the Times Business - it also says construction will start this year. Woo-hoo!!

Saturday 5 February 2005 11.23am
Saturday 5 February 2005 12.09pm
wjfox, I wish you'd compress your jpegs for those of us still on dial-up. Great photos but slow loaders.
Great news though. It's going to be FANTASTIC
Saturday 5 February 2005 12.46pm
Please don't post pictures more than 400 pixels across - if they are bigger, provide a link instead.

Also, please don't post pictures unless a) they are hosted on this site or b) they are hosted on your own webspace.

We have problems with people using our bandwidth by linking directly to images on this site - I don't want us to do the same to other people.

Thanks

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 March 2005 7.21pm
Article from the Times online edition ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IRVINE SELLAR, the multimillionaire property developer behind plans for the 1,016 feet tall “Shard of Glass” skyscraper on London Bridge, is proposing another 24-storey office tower next door, The Times has learnt.

Mr Sellar said that he had appointed Renzo Piano, the Italian architect behind the Shard of Glass to design a new smaller tower next door, set to be dubbed a “mini Shard of Glass”.

The new tower will be located on the site of New London Bridge House, a building designed by Richard Seifert, the architect behind Centre Point tower in London's West End and Tower 42 in the City.

Under Mr Sellar's plans, New London Bridge House would be demolished and replaced with the new tower, which is expected to provide about 500,000 sq ft of office space.

Mr Sellar's company, Sellar Property Group, bought New London Bridge House, with CLS, its development partner, for 39.5 million from Royal London Mutual Insurance Company in 2003. Before selling the building to Sellar Property Group, Royal London had drawn up its own plans for a tower on the site.

The building is currently let to more than 20 different tenants, including Standard Chartered, the bank. However, most of the leases expire in 2009.

The news came as Mr Sellar said that he hoped to start construction of the Shard of Glass in summer next year. Sellar Property Group is trying to secure an office letting for the Shard of Glass, before construction can start.

The company recently signed up Shangri-La, the luxury Asian hotel chain, to occupy floors 34 to 52 of the Shard.

Despite widespread scepticism that the Shard will ever be built, Mr Sellar pledged he will succeed with the ambitious project, which he plans to keep as a long-term investment..
Friday 25 March 2005 10.50am
What's the date of that article?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions