London SE1 community website

"Shard of glass" - London Bridge Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Saturday 8 January 2005 1.34pm
The IOC decision on the 2012 Olympic City will be announced on 6th July 2005.
If London is successful then I imagine the Shard will proceed quickly as many firms would

Ms Jo, I imagine you'd prefer the site to be the PWC building as you'd get a better view,
but I'd like you to support my proposal of having it moved a few yards to my preferred location below
as it would look great from my kitchen. Although with the height I suppose the whole of London
will have a grandstand view from anywhere.

08th January 12:30 pm
Saturday 8 January 2005 5.01pm
Useful link about Southwark Towers: http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=110685
Saturday 8 January 2005 5.35pm
Shame you're somewhat too late to submit your picture and opinion to the Public Enquiry, Phoney. You will get a great view of it anyway - remember it will be about 2 and a half times the height of Guys Tower. I'm looking forward to watching the construction process from my front door. (Unlike the tower on the Tabard Square site which on 21st Dec poked itself up above the other buildings and became visible from my flat, and which I am NOT looking forward to, as it will obscure a large part of the tiny bit of southern sky visible from my flat)
Saturday 8 January 2005 8.39pm
Funny you should mention the Tabard Sq erection Ms Jo.
November.........................................December......................................January and still rising.
Saturday 8 January 2005 8.52pm
phoney™ I took the liberty of submmiting your idea to the Architects and they came up with an even better solution, together with superb views whilst in your kitchen doing the washing up. Your neighbours will be relocated of course into lower floors of The Shard.

Saturday 8 January 2005 9.11pm
Very good thomas. I was wondering how you managed to get rid of the 'PUT IT HERE' from the photo.
I must play around with my editing software to see what other fun can be had.
Mind you I wouldn't mind a flat in the shard around the 50th floor. Maybe the lottery will oblige.
Saturday 8 January 2005 9.31pm
I do love a good spot the difference competition phoney™.
The greenery on the building on the left of the image for example!
Or have you been busy editing already!

Does anyone think that light will reflect dramatically from the sun onto the streets of SE1 because of the angle of the glass on the building? Will this be a hazard do you think?
Sunday 9 January 2005 5.38pm
This is a rendering from SkyscraperNews.com, and shows how the tower will appear from the south.

Notice there are 2 other planned skyscrapers in the background - the Heron Tower (to the left of the Gherkin), and the Minerva Building (to the right).

Sunday 9 January 2005 5.42pm
Height comparison with the Empire State Building ...

:-)

Sunday 9 January 2005 5.44pm
Another rendering. This is looking west:

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions