London SE1 community website

Congestion Charging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 21
Friday 20 September 2002 10.18am
Mike,

I was referring to Countryside Fan, not you. I agree with your views wholeheartedly.

I just got frustrated with Countryside Fan's insistence on twisting everything round to the march on Sunday.

CB
Friday 20 September 2002 12.26pm
Did you not read James' message ? This thread is concerned with congestion charging, not the countryside or the march. sort it !
Sunday 22 September 2002 7.23pm
Sorry CB, I must have got confused. Thanks to your patience, and James' tolerance.

Mike Boyle
dan
Wednesday 25 September 2002 5.17am
Many thanks to Countryside fan and his friends for helping make this years Car Free Day one of the most successful ever.
Wednesday 25 September 2002 10.33am
Welcome to London's tube-free day, courtesy of Bob Crow, Mick Rix and the "no arbitration" clowns at London Underground. A portent of the traffic conditions those of us who live just outside the CCZ will experience from next February.

Whay is the strike about? Money. Tube fares are artificially held down by forcing tube workers to subsist at near poverty level. Why should your fellow workers subsidise your travel in comfort and style on London's luxury underground service?

The cure? Well put up tube fares to realistic levels, you LU dopes! Put them up a Whole Bundle - how about 5 a journey? Then you can start investing in more tunnels, trains, signals, tracks, stations, security staff. And pay decent wages.

Why would anyone want to run a car when we have such an efficient and convenient round-the-clock public transport system?

Let's face it, London must spend far, far more money on it's public transport infrastructure before it has any chance of a successful congestion charging scheme.

Look forward to seeing you toffs all tramping through the rain next Tuesday.

Zoodle
Wednesday 25 September 2002 11.06am
zoodle,

well done, well done! you get the prize for 'the world's not fair' award. Yes, I'm afraid some people do get paid more, usually because they are more talented, more hard working and ambitious. I refer you to my post on 'Traffic Calming'...

Btw, I believe the average tube driver is paid about 30,000. I am confidently told that they start only over 20,000 which is pretty good for someone who just turns a level and follows the track (and that's on the day when they're not striking).

Hats off to them - who ever heads up their union clearly has talent. They're holding London to ransom and they're getting their just rewards - a wage nearly twice the national average for a job that any old monkey could do.
dan
Wednesday 25 September 2002 12.05pm
Hello Everyone

RE:Decent Wages ? Zoodle

What group are highly skilled at harassing people at pedestrian "pinch" points ? Beggars ! Sack all the revenue protection officers (especially the Connex ones dressedlike President De Gaulle) and replace them with that friendly doe eyed thin chap you always meet outside the tube.

Saving 5 Million Pounds

RE: Old monkeys ! Yes Tom Yes.But if it was a lab the repetitive nature of the task would be labelled psychologically cruel

Court Costs 200,000 per simian

Zoodle IMHO the tube isnt that bad It smells a bit, sometimes it is crowded and occaisionally late and yes I would prefer a nice merc too (hopefully at the clients expense.)

Tax deductible

RE Congestion Charging

I did a course about the internet it suggested making it clear who you are talking to and the use of "smileys" . These are simple stickers that you attach to your forehead and display in front of your webcam to indicate whether you are joking or not.

Why arent you doing this to stop confusions ?

All the best

Dan
JD
Wednesday 25 September 2002 12.18pm
Zoodle - backing up what Tom Helme says, average tube driver pay 30k - fireman/nurse 21k?? Go figure!

Its too easy to call the 'brothers/sisters' out on strike for sheer greediness. What about our hard working 'qualified' nurses/firemen? Don't see them holding the City/country to ransom!

Maybe this issue should be discussed in its own thread?
VM
Thursday 26 September 2002 1.48am
Junior doctors start at 18,500! Love the NHS...
Thursday 26 September 2002 9.01pm
Without drifting off-topic fo too long, I agree that lots of people are underpaid and many do not have the union muscle of the underground train drivers. A train driver will say that he is responsible for the lives of hundreds or thousands of travellers a day. As I have not been a nurse, a train driver or a fireman, I can only imagine the pressures of their jobs, and I am most grateful that they all are skilled and committed when I need them.

Are the train drivers in competition with the firemen or nurses? If they get a pay rise, does it mean a pay cut for the others? I think not; comparison is odious.

My point is that London's public transport is disgusting. Congestion charging is not going to succeed unless there is a very great deal of wonga spent on infrastructure, new hardware, staff levels, training, etc on public transport. The current level of "investment" is adequate for maintenance only. Those 200 shiny new busses are updating wheezy old Roadmasters which should have been retired in 1980.

In my view, if you build a decent public transport system, people will rush to use it, so you won't need a congestion charging scheme!

See, it's a political con trick. Ken makes a great show of putting up cameras which mean that he doesn't have to fix the real problems.
Current: 10 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions