London SE1 community website

Congestion Charging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 14 of 21
Wednesday 23 October 2002 11.33am
Although in favour of some kind of traffic restrictions, I have had a nasty thought about one side effect if the charge. What will happen about all those people who need to use their vehicles - plumbers, electricians, deliveries. I can see them affected in several ways:
1. On the outer ring they will find parking very difficult, if not impossible. This will mean each call will take much longer.
2. They will end up paying the charge.

I suspect that at the end of the day both these factors will end up by additional charges on the 'call out charges'. Perhaps a more engineered approach via pedestrianisation of streets, parking taxes, and the best of the lot, the reduction of speed to 20 mph.

I have been saddened that this topic site has been somewhat hijacked by flamers. True, some people on either side of the divide seem to have entrenched views. But all viewpoints have a validity. But to think London is dirty and .....etc - well I think London is a real jewel. And I agree with our great drinking visitor Samuel Johnson when he said, he who is tired of London is tired of life.

Mike Boyle
Thursday 24 October 2002 11.15am
Mike,

Ken answered this in his recent appearance in front of the Transport Select committee. He said that traders like locksmiths and window cleaners (his examples) would be able to do one more job a day because they can get around better...(?) and that would go some way to mitigating the extra expense. He was also challenged about his comment that if it didn't show some improvement within 2 months he would scrap it. He replied that if it was really going badly,whatever that means, or it was obviously fundamentally flawed he would scrap it - but, if it just wasn't working he'd put the price up. He also said he would be surprised if it didn't reduce the traffic and congestion by 10%.
He also made some odd reference to the poll tax and implied if there were riots in the street and massive protests then it was probably not a good tax. He finally said if Londoners really didn't like it we would probably have a different mayor next time.

On the serious point, you're right about the cost, it will go via businesses to their Customers. My organisation, services computer systems throughout the UK and lots in Central London. Engineers need to carry tools, test gear, spares etc. so they'll still go into The Ring and the cost will eventually find it's way to our Customers.
Thursday 24 October 2002 5.19pm
Oliver - which ****ing 'town' are you living in? hope it's not London 'cos U sound so angry I wouldn't like to meet you on a dark night - or a light one come to that!
nah, can't be London, that's a city...
Tuesday 29 October 2002 3.56pm
Jai wrote:

and take Paul Temperton with you !

Varkenslachter
=========================

What have I done to deserve this? I think you have been slaughtering too many pigs and it has clouded your judgement.

If you look back you will see that whereas Oliver (whom you are urging to take me away with him) hates London, I was saying that I am very happy here and did not really understand why people keep whingeing about it. So I am the last person you should be lumping together with him.

Paul
Jai
Tuesday 29 October 2002 4.30pm
Paul,

you wrote this tiring little ditty "If we can just get rid of all these selfish motorists clogging the place up, so much the better."

we've a whole thread clogged up with anti-car people having little diggs at the motorists, whilst motorists are trying to be understanding and aware of the motoring problems in the city and are hopefull of a working alternative. But the reason why people use their own motorised forms of transport are numerous and valid.

seems to me that anti-car people are equally guilty of selfish and imposing thoughts on the matter.

London is my adopted home. of all the fine things it means to me, I especially love it's diversity.

Anyway, no hard feelings... lots of room in this city for both of us... I'm the talkative chap in the London Scotia, if you wish to have a tete a tete on the subject.

Varkenslachter
Tuesday 29 October 2002 4.45pm
Well Jai,
Do you go in the London Scotia Sundays? If you do then I look forward to meeting you. My wife and I enjoy a late lunch in there Sundays. You will always recognise us - we like to sit near the front windows (on the book shelf side), drink Cider, try to ignore any football, and work together on languages - usually Ancient Greek or Latin. Just come over and introduce yourself - we are tame and friendly.

Mike Boyle
Jai
Tuesday 29 October 2002 4.56pm
ok Mike, I'll make a point of doing that... It'll be a while though, I'm escaping the traffic and hustle-bustle for a while and am off to a small island in the Philipines.

Varkenslachter
Wednesday 30 October 2002 4.19pm
Does anyone know what has happened to the consultations about controlled parking zones? Southwark was supposed to hold another round by the end of October.
Wednesday 30 October 2002 6.21pm
Hi Tom

I thought exactly the same thing and today I called Alistair Turk at The Project Centre (commissioned by LBS to carry out the consultation) on tel 02074306961.

Apparently, there has been a delay in getting some information (unspecified) from LBS and as a result the consultation has been put back to mid November.
Wednesday 30 October 2002 6.27pm
Current: 14 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions