London SE1 community website

Congestion Charging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 21
Wednesday 30 October 2002 11.09pm
Official Congestion Charge site:

http://www.cclondon.com

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 31 October 2002 10.18am
I see that Bob Kiley, that non elected, unaccountable, non Londoner, Non Brit in charge of London's transport has now contradicted the elected Mayor by saying that any review of the Congestion Charging will not take place for at least a year and possible not be changed for 5 years. I wonder who's in charge of what over at city hall.
Seb
Friday 1 November 2002 10.16am
A word of warning about Southwark's so-called 'consultation process'. Zone C (roughly Bankside to Elephant & Castle) was split into two earlier this year (C1 and C2). Permits for Zone C were therefore invalid and had to be upgraded to either C1 or C2. I had only recently bought my 12-month C Zone permit, and at the time no one advised me it would be invalid within a month. I continued using it until I got a parking ticket. I had to contest the ticket and was then told by Southwark that they'd done extensive consultation on the subject, they'd written individually to all C permit owners and put leaflets on the windscreens of cars still bearing old permits advising them of the changes. No one I've spoken to in my street knows anything about this consultation, nor the local tenants and residents association. And in fact at one point when I called the Council, I was told my old permit would be valid for the remainder of the 12 months and then I'd need to change it. So it's either no information or mis information. And I don't think it's just an isolated incident: while I was in the Parking Shop, two other residents from elsewhere in the zone came in with the same story. Thankfully, after the intervention from my very helpful local councillors I got the ticket withdrawn. However, no one can explain to me how Southwark can sell a permit for 12 months to park in a given area and then a few months later cut that area in half, without giving a refund or compensation. But frankly I can't be bothered to fight it anymore.
Monday 4 November 2002 12.36pm
Seb

I know what you mean about C1 and C2 - I was away for a month when this "extensive consulation" took place (mid March to mid April - just when I was out the country). Anyway - it seems that in mid March they sent out letters about it, and in mid April they did it - so when I came back from holiday I had 5 tickets for five consecutive days (total fine 400) on my car. Good to see Southwark's using scare resources to tackle the real issues again. Anyway - I did challenge it, and they kept on saying I was going to have to pay, so I said fine, lets do this through the appeals process (it would have been a Saturday morning, but for 400 worth it). Anyway, the minute I said I was willing to go in front of the arbitrator in person, they wrote back and said they were willing to forget about it.

Funny enough - this happened to me last time I complained about a ticket in Fulham - they threaten up to the point of the arbitrator, then they back down. You might want to think about that before you pay up - and what's more, by complaining you extend your discount period (40 instead of 80), so improve your cashflow and make loads of work for the useless Council [well - they did insist on the stupidity of putting it on 5 tickets on top of each other on a car parked down a side-street]

Which brings me onto congestion charging - hurrah for the 90% discount. I am looking forward to buying my 5 day pass (apparently they are not selling daily discounted passes because the Crapita system couldn't cope with so much data). I am going to start driving everywhere then - I scarcely use my car these days, but with emptier streets and having stumped up for the 5-day pass, it seems the ideal time for me to get some ues out of my Motor. Ken - you dunce - quick lesson on economics - you might want to look up "fixed costs" and "marginal cost pricing" in a text book.
Kit
Tuesday 5 November 2002 9.44pm
Hurrah - I agree

and Hurrah for the new online journey planner at

www.tfl.gov.uk

and cycle maps
Wednesday 13 November 2002 2.10pm
Bring it on!!!!!!!! I cant wait for congestion charging to start! Hurray for Ken indeed. The car-less centre in the aftermath of Saturday's Lord Mayor's Parade was a dream - like something out of Vanilla Sky or 28 Days Later. There is nothing better than a bicycle.
Wednesday 13 November 2002 2.41pm
I think you're wrong. Ken's an idiot - that's generally accepted. Congestion charging is a good idea - yes. This method is a half-witted rush-job, installed by Capita which will fall down I reckon within 6 months - people won't pay, won't get caught and the thing will be a shambles. Meanwhile, in the zone, I'm going to be driving like a man possessed (used to walk and ride everywhere, but given I now have to buy a weekly pass...) So much for your Vanilla Sky / 28 Days Later. More like Pie in the Sky, 28 Hangovers Later
Wednesday 13 November 2002 3.02pm
Surely the main idea is to prompt people to take a more responsible attitude to their car use for THEMSELVES?

Sadly they are incapable of doing so, as your "I'm going to be driving like a man possessed" comment shows. That sort of attitude makes me so angry.

People need to get to grips with the idea that they don't have the God-given right to drive their polluting, congesting cars where they want, when they want.

The right to a decent quality of life for EVERYONE comes way above this in my view.
Wednesday 13 November 2002 3.08pm
James

You've missed my point entirely - what i have consistently tried to set out in my arguments before, and what I was trying to do was parody the point to the extreme - of course I am not going to do this, but by imposing a large FIXED cost and no VARIABLE cost on driving in London, that is exactly the message the mayor is sending. As I have said before, less haste more speed - try to look at systems like Singapore, Seattle, technology based solutions that actually work. A camera and paper system is primitive in the extreme - why are we doing this when trials of smart cards have already taken place in Birmingham, M6.

Sorry if you've taken offence, but I think it will be more offensive to you when people do take the attitude I've set out - as your reply demonstrates. I am not a car nut (read above - I always walk and cycle whenever I can) but this system and its rushed implementation doesn't work in the best interests of pedestrians and cyclists - there are unfortunately bloody minded people who will think - well if I am having to pay a fiver a day, I'm sure going to get my money's worth. Like it or not, there are people out there like that, and that is the flaw of the proposed methodology, and therein, my criticism and reason for posting.

I wish people could for a moment seperate the ideology and the mechanism. I believe in the ideology - I am really worried about the way they want to achieve it.
Wednesday 13 November 2002 4.06pm
Sorry James but you are wrong. I do have the right to drive my car where I want, when I want. I pay my road tax and insurance. I paid my VAT on the car itself. I pay duty on the fuel I put in it, and now I will pay the congestion charge when entering the zone. It's all about choice.
Current: 15 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions