London SE1 community website

Congestion Charging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 21
Mike O Brien
Monday 12 August 2002 3.55pm
Regarding bendy buses and the comments earlier their capacity versus double-deckers.

At 18 metres long, the bendy buses are able to carry up to 140 people, at least 60 more than a double deck bus and 76 more than single deckers.

Remember, that double-deckers only give 16 extra places than a single decker, because officially there is no standing room on the top deck, plus there is an enormous amount of wasted lower-deck space taken up by stairwells, etc.

So, let's here it for the Bendy Buses!

"Been on a Bendy Bus? Bloomin Brilliant, Bilko!"
Monday 12 August 2002 9.34pm
just an observation after reading through this thread,
nobody answers one really important question.
What happens to the area around the charging zone.
it's been asked a few times but no one seems to answer it.
obviously all these people who think it;s the best thing since sliced bread live inside the zone. and are not bothered about people like me that live just the other side.
wether it's a good idea or not, if you live on the other side of the zone it will be chaotic.
Monday 12 August 2002 10.51pm
What happens in the area around the charging zone? Well, for example, say that someone that needs to go (by car for whatever reason) from Hackney to Clapham.

Today, they can take any of a dozen routes across the river, spreading the load across half a dozen bridges. OK, the little roads are busy, busy, but there must be the equivalent of a ten-lane highway in terms of capacity. That's why they built all the bridges.

Next February, they will all go over Tower Bridge and through the Elephant & Castle. Which will be even busier than it is now. Beacuse they will join the happy throng of everone else that needs to croos the river east of Westminster. Won't that be nice? The perimiter roads will be jammed solid, preventing all those buses, cyclists and taxis from going anywhere either.

How can anyone divert all the car traffic from Blackfriers Bridge, Southwark Bridge, London Bridge and pour it over the two-lane, 20MPH limited, frequently closed for maintenance, up-and-down-to-let-the-boats-though Tower Bridge? Bozos. Hey, why not put a bus lane on it too?
tom
Tuesday 13 August 2002 9.18am
Don't think so, it is my understanding that the boundaries - Tower Bridge, Elephant etc are PART of the zone, so if you're on it you're...in it, so to speak.

On the question about those just outside the zone, Westminster Couincil asked the same question but Ken and the High Court have agreed that we've all been consulted. This question got exercised in one of the other threads on this subject. I suggested then that the zone was too small and won't deter the long distance car commuter. He/she will simply park up just outside the zone and use the cheap London transport that Londoners are funding.
Tuesday 13 August 2002 9.48am
Tom - I fear that you are wrong. The TfL "Frequently Asked Questions" document
http://www.streetmanagement.org.uk/downloads/pdf/congest_charge/faq_v1.pdf says:

"Will I have to pay if I travel on the boundary ring road?
No, the charge is only if you enter the zone not travel on The Ring road."

Not so much a congestion charging scheme, more of a congestion relocation scheme. Clever idea, but a total disaster for residents on/near the boundary.
tom
Tuesday 13 August 2002 10.01am
Sorry, I stand corrected. In that case the point about Tower Bridge etc stands. That'll be fun!
Tuesday 13 August 2002 9.36pm
should imagine that it will also affect rotherhithe and blackwall tunnels too. so living in SE1 outside the zone is going to be a complete nightmare. who ever thought this would work must have been nuts. Ken should remember this when he gets voted out
Thursday 15 August 2002 12.39pm
> Hey, why not put a bus lane on it too?

Don't give them any more stupid ideas!!!
hannah
Thursday 15 August 2002 2.02pm
Hi everyone

I don't know anything about this new congestion charge. How it will effect me, living in Zone 1 and how it will all work. Is there a website anywhere that will explain it all? Also when does it come in to effect?

Thanks
Thursday 15 August 2002 2.19pm
See www.tfl.gov.uk/streets/
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions