London SE1 community website

Congestion Charging

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 9 of 21
Tuesday 17 September 2002 8.38pm
Just reading about congestion charging and its organisation, penalties and restrictions made me feel sick. What about freedom? Why should those outside the boundaries be shut out. Why should it cost me money to go into the city so that I can visit and take my old mother out for lunch? As you may guess I live just across the boundary. I really resent being shut out of my city. Get rid of Ken. He is worse than useless. He is a danger to London.
Wednesday 18 September 2002 9.23am
Brenda:

I hope you are coming on the Liberty and Livelihood March on Sunday. That's all about freedom. Granted, you must be in support of hunting too, but if you are for freedom, you should be for hunting.
Wednesday 18 September 2002 12.15pm
I fail to see the relevance of the Country side march to the Congestion charge. Perhaps it is something like rich, selfish, elitest people demand the right to do what they want regardless of what is either right of good. These people wish to massacre animals in barbaric ways, and wish to have the freedom to choke up city streets with traffic.

Mike Boyle
Wednesday 18 September 2002 2.35pm

Mike

May I suggest you read my above posting for the answer to your question: 'I hope you are coming on the Liberty and Livelihood March on Sunday. That's all about freedom.'

May I also suggest that you have a huge chip on your shoulder about something or other '... rich, selfish, elitist people...'. I suggest you look on the March thread and think with care about the people who hunt.

rich? not necessarily; not even the majority, despite what you think.

selfish? selflessly keeping the countryside beautiful for you to come to visit.

elitist? no, merely wanting to be left alone.

Just like all those drivers in the city of London - a bit harsh to describe Brenda as rich, selfish and elitist!
Wednesday 18 September 2002 2.58pm
James - can't you make this awful man go away?
Wednesday 18 September 2002 7.36pm
Mike - I agree that countryside alliance posts (real or otherwise) aren't relevant to the congestion charging board. BUT I shall go and catch a glimpse of them anyway - they'll only be able to choke up some of the roads in London on Sunday, as it's Car Free Day. Excellent planning - should be a great laugh seeing all those landrovers trying to navigate the City!
Jai
Thursday 19 September 2002 12.27am
[Brenda:

I hope you are coming on the Liberty and Livelihood March on Sunday. That's all about freedom. Granted, you must be in support of hunting too, but if you are for freedom, you should be for hunting.]

when I was 8 years old... I used to like playing with marbels... all those people that did... you must enjoy slaughtering other creatures for fun too...

YOURS !

Varkenslachter
Thursday 19 September 2002 10.04pm
I am sorry Country-Bumpkin that you feel that I am an awful man. However, your request to the group moderator, James, that I should be silenced is beyond the pail. You may not like what I have to say, fine. You also have your point of view. I respect your point of view, will read it, think about it, and respond. If you do not like what I say, fine. But it is not fine to invoke the site guardian to silence me. I will always fight for the right of people to have their say, even if I disagree with it. That is the whole idea behind bulletin boards etc. I could state political regimes, countries, religions and so on that silence views through the group moderator etc.

I have my views, you have yours. My arguments do not persuade you. No need to invoke the moderator, James, to rule me out.

Mike Boyle
Thursday 19 September 2002 11.03pm
I didn't think Country Bumpkin was referring to you, Mike

But let's keep the discussion of the march in the relevant thread, and stick to congestion charging in this thread.

James

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 19 September 2002 11.07pm
An interesting point of view, CountrySide Fan. Whenever I walk in the country I meet up with loads of empty plastic packs of fertiliser, weed killer etc. And these guys also get upset when we mention the increase in nitrates in the river water. So, do our farmers really care.

Mike Boyle
Current: 9 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions