London SE1 community website

Summer Job

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Saturday 2 April 2005 4.10pm
Dear Radekg
My response was more to Sarah's comment re cheap Polish building workers than to you. Also I must stress that I don' t think it is the workers who are prepared to work for less that causes the problem, I think it is tight fisted employers. That's how it goes.
Good Luck with accomodation. You can put up an adverts in shops local to where you want to live asking for a room, or look for people offering rooms the same way although that's a bit difficult to do from Poland !
You could try putting an ad in the South London Press or Loot as well.
Saturday 2 April 2005 10.24pm
I agree to Louisa to the extent that the immigration debate, which does not happen, appears to me to be as much about how the least well off are impacted by the presure on social, employment, education and access to health by the large numbers of prople coming to live in London. But I've just seen Tony Blair being interviewed by Little Ant and Dec, and so I am convinced we need him for another term.

But I did not mean to be heavy. All I was suggesting was that if could can get au pair terms. Eg room and board and pocket money, given the cost of renting a room, you are probably getting a lot more than the minium wage for your 25 hours work. Plus an opportunity, if you are only here for the summer to live with an English family.

Au pair jobs are advertised on varous websites. The one run by the Families South West Magazine is not a bad place to start. You might even find something in Wandsworth......There are agencies, and TNT magazine has a lot of both jobs and rooms advertised and seems the usual favourite. Its quite possible that TNT or Loot have a website. Summer childcare is a real problem, and so a family might well be interested. And male au pairs are pretty common. Plus you may be lucky and find that someone on this site is interested in swapping their spare room for the summer in exchange for some gardening or housework. I won't suggest plastering....

I now need to pack. Taking the kids to visit my au pair's family in Slovakia. Even the Rough Guide describes Eastern Slovakia as the back end of beyond. My daughter has been picking daisies in the park to feed the cow next door. (Animal, I think. Its where the milk comes from.) It may be the shock of a lifetime for my city kids. If there is any local cider I will bring some back.
Sunday 3 April 2005 5.36am
*off topic*

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Don't you just love the people on this forum ! Slovakian adventures, cider connoisseurs...

Sarah, have a great break - and good luck with your own two Mongol Hordes.

Also, I have some prints of the photos from the cider weekend for you when you get back - the ones of Steve scratting with O and F, so drop me a mail or PM and I'll bring them round.
Monday 4 April 2005 3.24pm
One of the reasons for suggesting barwork was that it is one of the few jobs in London that tends to include accommodation as part of the deal - the pay is not very good, but often does include room and sometimes board as well - meals, bills etc. If you are coming over and want to have some fun for the summer, it might also suit you as the other staff will tend to be sociable too. TNT do have a website, it's www.tntmagazine.co.uk - this has job listings & also lots of house/flat/room shares that would meet your budget. The other good place to try would be www.gumtree.com - another good source of jobs & accom. Best of luck!
OKR
Monday 4 April 2005 3.37pm
If your english is good enough (which is appears to be); why don't you try some of the many temp agencies that we have in London.
You can get work for above the average pittance for working 9-5. At least then you won't have to work in a smoky atmosphere, work unsociable hours, or fight off the competition from other people wanting a summer job. Mosty of them you need to know your way around a computer, be smart, well mannered and be wiling to do some filing for 10 an hour at a moments notice... plus you might not have to pay tax on the first 4k that you earn (but that I'm not totally sure about)

try www.cronecorkill.co.uk or www.adecco.co.uk or google reed employment...
Wednesday 6 April 2005 9.43pm
Since joining the EU Slovak Rum has to be called Um to distinguish it from the Caribbean stuff. All I could work out was that it is made from some sort of tree bark. I did not bring any back as I reckoned it would be too challenging, even for the most hearty of cider drinkers. I do, however, have some Becherovka, which I can't really describe but which has a sort of herby note. I will try and save some, not too hard, for the next social.

The kids are in clover. They loved the local speciality of ravioli stuffed iwth mash potato. Dobry... Plus all the animals. A back and front garden and grandma in traditional dress. And Slovaks seem more children friendly than your average (Tate member, Borough market going) Londoner. I have left them behind for another week. Now to recover from a night spent on sleeper train that rattled over every bump.

Read the guide book's quick summary of Slovak history. Lots more than Mongols. If a place ever merited a Horrible History, perhaps Slovakia does.

Would love to see the photos.

Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions