London SE1 community website

Dentist - is that a rip-off?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Monday 4 April 2005 4.49pm
Well I paid about £150 for a root filling in my rear molar about 8 years ago privately (at UCL dental practice in London - felt conned - the dentist said ‘well, I could do it NHS, but I wouldn't be able to do such a good job. . .' when I was in the chair!), and when I needed a crown for that tooth in 2000, a ceramic crown was £300 - and that was in Oxford. If it's £375 for the root filling and ceramic crown, it sounds reasonable to me (though still a lot of money, and we're a captive audience). a lot of dentists seem to be OK with you paying for treatment as you receive it. I spread the treatment for my crown out to straddle 3 months so I could pay a bit a month - perhaps you could arrange something similar with your dentist?

But if you're not sure, you should go for a second opinion. My current dentist seems OK - 7703 2524 at 32 New Kent Road, near Elephant and Castle - never had any complaints, and they always been willing to offer advice without demanding that you carry out the treatment there and then (though you'll have to shell out another check-up fee).

This website lists all dentists in SE1 http://www.lslha.nhs.uk/services/de/de_postcode.php?PostcodeSearch=SE1

Hope you find a solution that's not too painful on the pocket.

L.
Monday 4 April 2005 5.24pm
Hi,
Which dentist was that? The one near the cluster of shops going towards Bermondsey Station?
I've been there before and they seemed quite reasonable and did not try and "hard sell" me too much (unlike a BUPA practice in the City, where they tried to sell me 800 quids worth of work!!!).
cheers
Kurt
Monday 4 April 2005 8.34pm
thank you everyone for your advice - i'll call your dentists and ask for the price....

i just wish i could have it done in my country - much cheaper and better treatment!
(every time i go to a new dentist, they say "where did you get the fillings/crowns done? very good!" - which makes me worry
that they won't be able to give me the same level of treatment??) : )
Tuesday 5 April 2005 11.54am
All these charges are a complete farce! It is not the dentist who makes The Crown but Dental Technicians in a laboratory. Dentists, as we know take the impressions and do the prep and fit but it is the technician who is responsible for the quality of the crown.

Dentists can apparently make a fortune from these crowns by charging the patient extortionate fees for private crowns and request NHS quality crowns to be made by the technician. Basically the quality is very similar. So ask questions and ask for a price breakdown i.e how much does the technician charge for making the crown!
Tuesday 5 April 2005 12.35pm
Why should a dentist tell you how much he is charged by the technician. Do we expect Tesco to tell us how much it pays for its stock. Do we expect Quick Fit to tell us what it pays for tyres.
Get real
Tuesday 5 April 2005 9.46pm
i made an appointment with the one on tower bridge road - will report you how much they will charge me!
Wednesday 6 April 2005 1.41pm
Hi Everyone,

Can someone pls tell me how much you would expect to pay for a check up?

Have recently moved here from Ireland, but go home pretty often, and am wondering whether to visit the dentist here or there. Any other info on charges for basic treatments would be great...
-cleaning?
-having 'seals' put on your back teeth?

Thanks All!!
Wednesday 6 April 2005 1.51pm
Would you be NHS or private?

NHS - check up & cleaning are free, "seals" (white fillings) are about £50 each. (less the more you need done).
Wednesday 6 April 2005 2.17pm
NHS check up and cleaning is £23 if the dentist does the cleaning, more if the cleaning is done by a hygenist (hygenists are not on the NHS). Private is about £90 for dental checkup and hygenist to clean.
Wednesday 6 April 2005 2.23pm
I'm told NHS dentists are impossible to come by? Is that true?

£90 for a clean seems ridiculous - same in Ireland within the last month (for someone else) cost €60 - which is less than £41 according to expedia, or less than half the £90!

How does one get themselves in with a NHS dentist?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions