London SE1 community website

Dentist - is that a rip-off?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Wednesday 6 April 2005 2.28pm
Hi bmovie

Sorry but I don't see any connection between Dental Treatment and Tesco.

If a Dentist is charging say 500 for a crown and taking an hour to prepare and fit then of course you are entitled to know the breakdown of the charge. It could be that the cost of actually making The Crown is only 50!

This would never happen in USA because the public ask questions and don't get taken for complete MUGS!!

I have known a Dentist charge a patient for a private quality crown and pay the lab for an NHS crown. It DOES happen!!
Wednesday 6 April 2005 2.51pm
er, the connection is that both are businesses. At the moment I can't think of any situation where the purchaser of an item knows what his supplier has paid for it/cost him to make. But for the sake of arguement, say the materials used to manufacture The Crown cost 50p, the lab charges the dentist 50, the dentist charges the client 500, what's the problem?
Your comment concerning the USA made me LOL - these are the people you say aren't mugs but they still managed to put Baby Bush back in the White House blah blah blah
Wednesday 6 April 2005 3.26pm
As per above post:

Plum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That does seem quite a lot for NHS treatment to
> me. Try my dentist 25 Tower Bridge Rd. Mr
> Annobil 0207 407 7427. He's done quite a bit of
> work for me - crowns & bridges & I have
> been very happy with the result.

As far as I know his patient list is still open.
Wednesday 6 April 2005 4.35pm
Ok -These may sound like stupid questions, but as Ive never used the NHS before, please bear with me!

what does "NHS charge paying adults" vs "Charge exempt adults" mean? Is there a wages limit or something?

Can anyone just register with a NHS dentist/doctor?

Thanks!
Wednesday 6 April 2005 10.53pm
They should be able to tell you. I assume it is people on benefits, plus pregnant women and new mothers (aha - there had to be a perk) plus perhaps people with long term or specific illness. Basically if you work you pay.

I've paid about 250 for a crown, and that was a friend's husband who would not over charge but is in an expensive location. He did a bridge for me once where he chose to go to a specific, expensive and well-regarded lab in Harley Street because it was complicated and wanted a good job done.

Moral is to take good care of your teeth. If you can access a good hygenist it is well worth thinking about it regarless of the cost - which actually is not a lot different from a London hairdresser. Or is if you have ropey teeth.

She grins to show off her now healthy gums.
Thursday 7 April 2005 8.52am
Wow, how spooky is that...your friends husbands crown fitting you. A kind of tooth share :-)
Thursday 7 April 2005 11.06am
Cats - My private dentist charges about 30 for a check up (including x-rays) and about 35 for the hygenist. Hope that helps.
Monday 11 April 2005 1.12pm
OK if you are happy to pay private prices for NHS quality crowns and be charges accodingly so be it!

Just alerting folk to what goes on behind the scenes......
Tuesday 10 May 2005 2.19pm
Has anyone used dental arts studio, 43 borough high st.? I had an unfortunate run-in with my new dentist there and am not sure what to make of them. Thanks.
Wednesday 11 May 2005 12.33pm
Haven't been to Dental Arts but I visited dentist called Chater (great name for a dentist!) at 305 Borough High St after a reading a recommendation on this site.
Clean and professionlly run, but I the tooth clean he did was not as thorough ive had elsewhere before. Waiting room was busy and I got the impression he speeded up the job.

I had a VERY bad experience with Charles Ng on the Old Kent Road with my crowns 3 years ago and recommend you do not go there. i am still in the process of saving up to have his work rectified. I contacted the General Dental Council (professional body which deals with complaints) at the time and they were unhelpful. They insisted on dealing with me by telephone (despite the fact that I had trouble artculating words and was in pain speaking).

Please do post your success stories as some dentist is going to get a lot of dosh out of me as soon as I find one I think I can trust.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions