London SE1 community website

Dentist - is that a rip-off?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Sunday 2 June 2013 4.59pm
I have been to Dental Arts Studio. Seemed ok at first but then realised they are not very good. My work didn't last and the dentist he was very rude. I would find someone else if I were you.
Monday 3 June 2013 10.08am
I do hope you all recognise that the paths trod by dentists and opticians,instigated by various governments and not resisted by the taxpayer, is the same path for GPs and the NHS that is being prosecuted by this Tory government aided and abetted by LibDems.
Limiting the number of visits to your GP will mean that you have to pay for subsequent visits and then the payments for treatment will surely follow.
Hello Branson here's the health service we promised you that you could have.
Get used to it. You're being mugged.
Tuesday 4 June 2013 11.18pm
Not sure why this thread has popped up but worth noting that the changes to dentist and opticians ( and GPs ) was under a Labour Government. ie none of the politcos has a clue
Saturday 15 June 2013 3.06pm
Can anyone recommend a good NHS dentist? My old dentist retired and the person who has taken over the surgery is slapdash, i.e. filled two teeth within cleaning them out reminded m of slapping on a bit of polyfiller and the so called cap looks like a lego brick!, and what she considered a proper clean bore no relation to my great old dentist. Two fillings have fallen out since they were filled 7 weeks ago. Is there anyone who knows a dentist that is experienced in the elderly with manky teeth and a fear of dentist.

I am reluctant to go back to see her because that will be another 208 pounds...:-(
Sunday 16 June 2013 1.11am
There's a few here,type in your post code and a load come up,with reviews.

http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Dentist/LocationSearch/3
Sunday 16 June 2013 10.57am
Thank you Boroughonian, another bit of my filling has dropped out, and reading one of the old posts here by Dentist it should have lasted at least 2 years! not 7 weeks..
Sunday 16 June 2013 3.29pm
Perhaps not really on thread, but around 6 years back my wife's NHS dentist told her that she had a bone problem, and that she should consider implants. We went on-line and checked with 2 dentists, one in Victoria, and one in Islington. Both came in at circa 25,000. We went back on-line and settled on a Belgian dentist with a practice in Portugal. We flew out after emailing him to arrange an appointment. He checked her out, sent her for an MRI scan of her upper and lower jaw and said that it could be done for around 9750, but would incur 3 visits. We accepted this, had a great job done, plus 3 mini vacations. Even with flights, car hire, and accommodation we came out in front. With the added bonus that my wife has a movie star smile that he has guaranteed will last for years. The fact that the dentist could have passed for George Clooney had nothing to do her deciding on him to do the job!
Sunday 16 June 2013 8.40pm
Tom Pepper wrote:
Perhaps not really on thread, but around 6 years back my wife's NHS dentist told her that she had a bone problem, and that she should consider implants. We went on-line and checked with 2 dentists, one in Victoria, and one in Islington. Both came in at circa 25,000. We went back on-line and settled on a Belgian dentist with a practice in Portugal. We flew out after emailing him to arrange an appointment. He checked her out, sent her for an MRI scan of her upper and lower jaw and said that it could be done for around 9750, but would incur 3 visits. We accepted this, had a great job done, plus 3 mini vacations. Even with flights, car hire, and accommodation we came out in front. With the added bonus that my wife has a movie star smile that he has guaranteed will last for years. The fact that the dentist could have passed for George Clooney had nothing to do her deciding on him to do the job!
. No, I bet it didn't, (to you Tom), but it may have deadened any pain that Mrs. Pepper might have felt! 6 years back you were still driving a black cab weren't you? It must have given the punters a warm glow if they knew that they were helping you to jump on and off planes, exporting to the Eurozone, while storing a shed load of brownie points with Mrs. Pepper! The way that the has slumped against the since then would have hiked your bill a tad, but probably not to 25000. Good luck to you, well done.
Sunday 16 June 2013 10.47pm
Thanks for those kind words DJ, it never mattered to me if the job in the back felt a warm glow or not. I took them where they wanted to go, when they wanted to go. Streatham or Stoke Newington, Ealing or Upton Park. Made no difference to me, that was my job. If a taxi driver doesn't want to do that he should try another line of work. The only difference now that I've retired is that I find myself travelling with the po' folks in the back of the plane, not so much in business class as I'd become accustomed to. C'est la vie mes amis.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions