London SE1 community website

Rats in Potters Field Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Friday 22 April 2005 7.11pm
Rats in Potters Field Park

don't talk about Ken livingstone like that.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22 April 2005 7.12pm by mickysalt.
Friday 22 April 2005 10.55pm
So if Southwark can't find the money, how is a trust going to raise the funds?

Its the typical capital/revenue issue: bodies like to spend money to make everything all wonderful and new and get the credit for it, but no way can you get them to commit to revenue funding to keep it up.

As I recall, residents wanted a simple, open park, well-maintained, with lots of grass. And what is proposed? A complex, planting-intensive park. The planting scheme looks beautiful I agree, but surely part of the design brief should be to look at the budget for gardening and maintainance, and design a scheme that can be maintained within that budget, rather than en expensive showcase, lovely though that might be for the first few years.

I would think that having local people involved in deciding what events/tradespeople are allowed in the park is a good thing. But taking on responsibilty to raise money every year for the expense of maintainance is not something you want to do.
Saturday 23 April 2005 7.15am
Hi Jo
At present the income from events etc goes into a general pot used by Southwrk to maintain all the parks in the borough. Under the proposed trust all the income raised would go into the trust to be used for the maintenance of the park and if one day, there were to be a surplus, for maintenance of nearby parks, such as St John's Churchyard etc. There is already a considerable income stream from burger vans etc and the general idea is that only the minimum number of events should be held to provide sufficient income to maintain the park. Personally I am opposed to any event lasting more than a couple of days. Why should we be deprived of the use of the park for any longer, especially in Summer. The make up of the trust hopefully is planned to have members from Southwark, GLA, More London, PLP, Residents Association and a few other interested parties. But the intention is that it shall not be possible for it to be controlled by any oneparty. It's is quite complex to organise it in that way but I'm sure that it is the best way.
I agree with you about having a design that is easy to maintain but we seem to be stuck with having this "world class park" which will inevitably be more labour intensive. If it does have to happen then it's important that we local people can have a say in how in is managed.
Saturday 23 April 2005 7.39pm
Well that at least sounds like you will have some income for the trust. Hopefully you will be able to raise enough without making too much of a compromise on the events. And hopefully you will be able to get a good proportion of residents on the trust's board. Good luck! I went to speak at the UDP Public Enquiry on Friday, and your proposed trust was mentioned.
Sunday 24 April 2005 10.16pm
I , like Alan, have been involved in the Park and the Trust and it is unfortunately the only way forward, not just to maintain it but to safeguard it from being used for the wrong purposes.

I too wanted a simple design, like St.John's Churchyard, but I could tell from the first consultation meeting that the designers were determined to create a nice portfolio piece for themselves. The last thing a visitor would expect to find next to Tower Bridge is a simple green space and that in itself would have been a very clever thing to do.

Monday 25 April 2005 7.43am
Um...am I being some sort of thick-o here, are we talking about the same Potter's Fields that they are trying to cover up with a bunch of gaswork-chimney-style buildings? If there's a choice I'd rather have the rats.
Monday 25 April 2005 8.36am
The proposed development would be on the derelict coach park site next to the green space. The green space is staying.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 25 April 2005 2.04pm
alan chapman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Several people have mentioned to me that there is
> still a colony of rats living in the bushes
> between the park and the vacant site behind the
> school. I really think that this is totally
> unacceptabe when so many children use the park.
> Please could anyone else who has seen them post a
> message here and it will help me put pressure on
> Southwark to get rid of them.

I know that we've moved off topic slightly, but I see rats quite frequently also. I know that they are common in LOndon, but they are disgusting creatures.

After the Blaine thing, piles of rubbish were left festering in the car-park (an obvious attraction for vermin) - I called Southwark to complain, and the rubbish disappeared soon afterwards, so there did seem to be a reaction!

IMHO, the following is required:

- more frequent bin emptying
- removal of the unlicenced food vendors (who along with M&S, seem to contribute to most of the rubbish)

Monday 25 April 2005 2.14pm
Unlicensed food vendors:

Could someone tell me what needs to be done to get rid of these people?

Each weekend the number of vendors selling roasted nuts, dog-burgers, I-screams, etc. is increasing. Add to that, the "artists", the wire-sculptors, the Kodak-Gold sellers, "crazy" hat sellers, the place is beginning to resemble some late night QVC programme.

I've been tempted to walk up to one of them and ask them whether they're licensed, only to slink away in fear that they'll throw a rotting hot dog at me.

Who is the person in charge at Southwark Council, to whom we can vent our anger?

A few years ago, the residents of Montmartre in Paris rose up against the hawkers that had descended around the Sacre Coeur. I'm not sure if guillotines were involved, but somehow they got rid of the vermin... and the rats probably disappeared too....
Monday 25 April 2005 3.43pm
It's been a while since I've heard people refered to as vermin. Are you thinking what they're thinking? Oh, hang on, they want less regulation..........
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions