London SE1 community website

Pink lights / Elephant & Castle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 18 December 2007 10.15am
According to the Wikipedia page about the New Kent Road (so it must be true):

"The multi-coloured spherical lights in the trees next to the Heygate were installed in 2005 by the Elephant Impacts project. The project has repainted and added feature lighting to a number of bridges and buildings in the area, including the adjoining railway bridges on Walworth Road and Newington Causeway, and to London College of Communication and the Metropolitan Tabernacle. Proposed feature lighting at Metro Central Heights was abandoned when residents feared it would cause light pollution."
Tuesday 18 December 2007 11.16am
I think that the railway bridge on Newington Causeway looks very cool in its neon blue and green, although it is spoilt somewhat by graffiti. It would be good to see the same done for the bridge on Walworth Road, which would act as a gateway from the Tube stations.

The Boss,
SE1 Relocation Ltd
E: oliver@se1relocation.com
W: http://www.se1relocation.com
Tuesday 18 December 2007 11.42am
Is that the block where McDonalds is, Walworther? I was passing there last week and remember thinking to myself that it must be a right royal pain if you live within light-polluting distance.

Do they leave them on all night, or switch them off so that local residents don't need blackout curtains?
Tuesday 18 December 2007 8.56pm
yeah that's the one ruth. they come on at 4 and go off at 1230. i'm kind of used to it now and the sheer audacity and daftness of the display makes me chuckle. (they were on all night in the first year but i had a word about that!) i think southwark council genuinely has no idea that real people actually live on walworth road. they forgot to tell us about the year-long and sometimes all-night roadworks too. and they didn't consult me when they unearthed the mature tree outside my flat and replaced it with some twigs a couple of weeks ago. but now i'm sounding like a right old scrooge... if i had to be positive about the walworth road makeover i'd say that cllr kirsty o neill appears to be hard working and interested in walworth affairs. she just needs better officers. the new cycle hoops are cool too - and used!
Wednesday 19 December 2007 8.23am
I look out on those lights from my terrace and bedroom. Very festive.
Wednesday 19 December 2007 8.59am
jackie - i think you must mean the quite nice lamp post mounted red yellow and green lights that snake off all the way down WR. no problem with those. but the blue and white 'camera flash' on chatelaine house is another matter...
Wednesday 19 December 2007 9.51am
No, I mean that incredible blue and white facade...you can see it for miles. I dont have it blinking in my window admittedly, but it sort of marks the Christmas season every year....
Wednesday 19 December 2007 12.43pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
I walked along St George's Road for the first time in a year late yesterday afternoon, on my way to the poster propaganda exhibition at the IWM. It was a thoroughly depressing walk without the extra light the Elephant Impacts globes used to provide.
[The contrast between the crap ancient sodium lamps in the Southwark bit of Lambeth Road and the dramaticlly brighter lighting on the Lambeth side of the park is also a reproach to LB Southwark - the IWM must surely have reason to complain!]
Our London Assembly member is also concerned about the urban design around the Lambeth Road/St George's Road junction:
http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/question.do?id=20705

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 19 December 2007 11.29pm
James Hatts wrote:
Our London Assembly member is also concerned about the urban design around the Lambeth Road/St George's Road junction:
http://mqt.london.gov.uk/mqt/question.do?id=20705

Did the scheme from an earlier Elephant & Castle Masterplan for creating a new space in front of the RC Cathedral paid for by building new blocks of housing facing Lambeth Road on top of the Bakerloo Line carriage depot get dropped as too difficult/not feasible in engineering???
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions