London SE1 community website

All Hallows Church, Copperfield Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 14
Wednesday 1 June 2005 8.11am
The Archbishop of Southwark would be delighted to hear from you...

The Bishop is in charge of the Diocese, the Dean in charge of the Cathedral. Yes, I dare say that ultimately the Dean is under the charge of the Bishop, but only like any other parish priest. If you write to the Bishop you are not dealing with the person who has the information you need.
Saturday 4 June 2005 6.41pm
Mapmaker......you seem to know alot about the hierarchy of the church,
Who is the person to write to that is above the Dean and has the info needed?.....
Saturday 4 June 2005 6.51pm
You maybe interested to know a PUBLIC MEETING has been arranged by those objecting to the proposed development on the All Hallows Church site.

To be held this TUESDAY 7th JUNE at CHARLES DICKENS SCHOOL, LANT STREET, SE1, 7 to 9 pm

Simon Hughes and the local councillors have been invited to attend.

All Welcome

If you are concerned by this building development or just want to learn more about it please come along.
Wednesday 8 June 2005 5.50pm
I made some notes during the PUBLIC MEETING see below:-

Note from Meeting:

1. Meeting attended by 50+ local residence of all ages and backgrounds. & Simon Hughes
2. A lot of high emotions and anger was voiced towards Southwark Cathedral. People expect better from the Cathedral,
3. Anger over the lack of consultation with the local residence
4. Anger that the Cathedral has threaten to sell the land to a private developer if they do not get their way.
5. Many concerns raised about the proposal-
a/ Loss of light
b/ loss of privacy
c/ within a conservation area
d/ possible loss of garden
e/noise pollution
6. Point raised that the Parish boundary had changed some years ago to exclude the site but had recently changed back to include the site once more, this is seen as a cynical move by the Cathedral.
7. That the proposal flouts the Councils own Urban District Plan and its Conservation area. Do these documents count for anything?
8. The Cathedral have greatly under valued their property assets in their annual report.
9. The meeting urged Simon Hughes, as a member of the Southwark Cathedral Council to approach the Dean to withdraw the application and to have a sensible consultation with the community to come to a viable alternative.

Simon Hughes Reply
1. Very concerned over the loss of privacy and the loss of light that the proposed development will cause
2. He had only seen the plans the day before
3. This development had not come up at any of the Cathedral Council meetings that he had attended.
4. He had met the Dean the day before to see the plans and the site
5. Told the Dean that "He does not take kindly to threats" when the Dean said that the land would be sold to a developer if he does not get approval.
6. Bitter that the community was not consulted properly.
7. Is not supportive of it and does not believe the proposal has good merit
8. Agrees the garden must be kept in it present format
9. Believes the community would easily be able to come up with a better scheme if consulted properly
10. Style of building not appropriate for the conservation area
11. He will write a letter to the Dean to ask them to drop the application and to consult with the community and to come up with a proposal that is acceptable to both the Cathedral and the local community.
12. He would be happy to help facilitate that consultation.
Thursday 9 June 2005 12.22pm
Good for Simon Hughes!
Thursday 9 June 2005 1.35pm
seconded
Thursday 9 June 2005 3.01pm
ITs Southwark planning department, not Chiltern, which isnt in London!
Thursday 9 June 2005 7.40pm
I had to pop in to a place on Risborough St. today so I walked past the garden .and church.

What lovely little garden

The plans sound absolutely horrific one of the worsed things I've ever heard of

Im suppressed there isn't any protection for that sort of place.
Thursday 9 June 2005 10.03pm
I forgot to mention

I sort of think there is something special about the surviving remains of a church bombed in the blitz..

It should be left as a place of tranquil contemplation.

And Im not even religious.

You'd' think Southwark cathedral would agree.
Friday 10 June 2005 5.22am
That's true. It is a special building and a special place.

The architect TF Ford who was a conscientious objector and Head Air Raid Warden during WWII and restored a couple of bomb damaged churches in south London.

His building and the garden is a unique and beautiful link with a moment of 20th century history.

I only know this from googling him but I'd be eager to learn more, if anyone has more information about him.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 14

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions