London SE1 community website

Garden centre in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Tuesday 19 April 2005 9.53am
Southwark Council are offering: "Trees for Free" (and shrubs and climbing plants) for domestic gardens, schools and community groups within Southwark - which sounds brilliant.

Check out:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/Trees/FreeTrees.html
Tuesday 19 April 2005 10.12am
If only they were doing tomato plants!

...if you press it, they will come.
Jac
Tuesday 19 April 2005 12.04pm
Ivanhoe

I may have a few spare tomato plants if you want them (tiny tim-cherry tomatoes). At the moment they are on my kitchen window sill about 3-4 leaves big. I think there wil be more than I have room for. Evidently they are suitable to grow in containers or baskets and you do not need to pinch out the side shoots or use canes! Also may have some lambs lettuce to go with them. All grown from a mini seed set that I brought form woolies.
Tuesday 19 April 2005 1.08pm
Thanks Jac, that's very kind but I think we're alright.

We were doing very well on the tomato score, until we put them outside a fortnight ago (we were going on hol's. Thought they'd bake if we left them inside. Thought frosts were over in our SE1 microclimate.) Unfortunately they have at least partially succumbed to frost, but thankfully we did have some others coming along indoors in a seed tray so we've got replacements.

Strangely the cucumber plants, and the tomatoes in baskets were fine. It was just the "upright" tom's that suffered.

Maybe we can have a tomato taste-off in a couple of months' time.

Tuesday 19 April 2005 11.39pm
Jac, I'd love to try one of your tomato plants if you still have spare ones. Can I swap it for something from my 'urban jungle'?
Jac
Wednesday 20 April 2005 10.52am
Of course you can Jo, lets negotiate terms at lunch on tuesday.
Wednesday 20 April 2005 11.53am
Rightey-ho.
Wednesday 20 April 2005 2.01pm
Ivanhoe - let us know when you plan to buy canes as that could be worth lining your route to watch.
Wednesday 20 April 2005 2.31pm
Ivanhoe, is the asian shop on ground floor e and c still there? they used to sell garden bits and pieces? the one opposite the grill?
Wednesday 20 April 2005 3.44pm
Julie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ivanhoe - let us know when you plan to buy canes
> as that could be worth lining your route to watch.

Julie, you haven't seen my superscooter yet, have you?

It's fully equipped for all cargo carrying duties (except pizza's, before you start making jokes). A sack of compost just bungee-cords onto the back seat with no problems. Even makes comfy backrest for the driver.

Canes might be a bit more tricky, with the length and all, but I was thinking of tying them on near my screen somehow and using them to get that Mods-on-a-Bank-Holiday-flags-and-foxtails-on-the-aerials sort of look. I was actually thinking of going to B&Q tonight. I can ride back via Long Lane if you think it's going to be that funny.....

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions