London SE1 community website

Southwark News

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 5 September 2002 11.35am
Can I recommend the much improved Southwark News (out every Thursday) - it seems to cover many of the issues raised in this forum - history, new buildings etc . I have given up buying the depressing South London Press - which seems only to report crime - in its favour.
Thursday 5 September 2002 8.25pm
Yes, second to SE1 of course, Southwark News is really good. Didn't the editor recently take over this paper?
Thursday 5 September 2002 9.55pm
Yes, I agree that the Southwark News is much improved of late.

I didn't realise until recently that when David Clark (the founder) died a few years ago the paper was rescued by Barry Albin-Dyer, the well-know Bermondsey funeral director (http://authorpages.hoddersystems.com/BarryAlbinDyer). As Kate says he has now sold the paper to the joint editors.

According to last week's Press Gazette, the circulation has more than doubled in the last few years

I wonder if the South London Press will do any thing to hit back at the improved S'wark News? When the News went weekly, we briefly got a 'Southwark Local' supplement in the SLP, but it was soon dropped.

The SLP's sales in SE1 are hardly spectacular - our SE1 Direct email newsletter has more subscribers than the SLP Tuesday edition sells in SE1 (source: JICREG)
Monday 9 September 2002 10.04am
Southwark News is smashing...I love Debra Goslings pages on past times...I always turn to that first.
Tuesday 10 September 2002 11.59am
Where can I buy Southwark News from? It sounds just what I've been looking for.
Tuesday 10 September 2002 10.44pm
Available every Thursday from most newsagents in Southwark for 30p

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions