London SE1 community website

London Road/Borough Road terraces & LSBU development

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Friday 9 September 2005 4.06pm
There is a St George's Circus Group in existence already and it is very active (indeed I'm sure it is the group mentioned above that stopped SBU's plans to demolish the buildings). I will try and PM you the details (if I remember how to do that).
Friday 9 September 2005 4.52pm
I think that Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands (as the practice is now called) have been employed by SBU to come up with a design for the whole block, of which the new Students Union in the former chapel is just the first phase. I can't easily relate the images on their site to current buildings.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1658
http://www.lifschutzdavidson.com/main.htm
Wednesday 14 September 2005 1.13pm
Hi

I hadn't realised that the former chapel was to become the permanent home of the new student union. So I had a google and came across the following:-

http://www.amsu.net/Media/downloads/32_15200526065123_43.doc

from which the extract below is taken: This doesn't provide much detail on what will be included in the new LBSU student union - it seems that student bars and discos are out of fashion and the students now want religous or similar spaces.

Presentation by:
Alexis Marmot/Peter Baynton
• Be careful what consultants tell you
• We have been working 15 months on campus
• Key geographical points re: London South Bank - best location re public transport connection
• LSBU needed a long-term property strategy  to strategic plan in Dec. Projects funding. The Students' Union will be built not just once but twice over next 3 years.

Background about the area:
• Redevelopment of Elephant & Castle (E&C) area will be occurring
• Cross London Tram route planned for 2010 (running adjacent to the University)
• There is also a wider E&C redevelopment area
• English Heritage has plans for part of the area north of St George's Circus

Blue = LSBU Building
SU  2008 moves to new building

Near to the University there are plans to build a 27 storey housing block with shops around.
LSBU is not the best campus and buildings are old - built prior to 2nd WW = 20%, post war space including SU = 70%
More recent buildings include the new Keyworth Centre now open 18 months.

Balance of Student Numbers - PWC has modelled student demand and space implications
Agreement has been reached and there will be 2 stages of redevelopment
• Now - the current SU site will be much higher density and later plans to improve the overall campus - greenery
• Permanent Student Centre
• The Union will need a Temp home for 2 years until 2008
Then there will be longer term plans for the rest of the site
SU's  re: quality re: from outside.
The current SU's main area within the premises - drinking, smoking, games etc. With a Bar on first floor - a wood panelled Pub.
Also a Night club space which is not used as such but is used for sports training and many other uses throughout the year.

Ministry of Sound is not far from the Union
Monday 19 December 2005 11.56am
Hi

Last week I noticed that a couple of scaffolding companies had been busy around St George's Circus.

Scaffolding was being erected around the Duke of Clarence - does anyone know what for? (The roof is in dire need of attention, so perhaps there is maintenance going on - tied in with the renovations of the former Chapel for the new LSBU Student Union perhaps? - or is this leading to demolition?)

The other scaffolding is opposite (at the top of Waterloo Road). I presume that this IS for demolition, as I recall a planning application for a new tall(ish) buildingfor this site.

Can anyone throw any more light on either of the above?

Merry Christmas

Steve
Tuesday 20 December 2005 10.54am
The one at St Georges Circus is due to the redevelopment of the that site, which as you say is desperate for repair. This is the site for the new PSGP doctors in 2008
Tuesday 20 December 2005 12.26pm
I don't like the use of the word redevelopment here. Surely if they are doing anything to either site there should be planning applications/other documents up so that the public know what is going on & we can stop it.

Victoria
Tuesday 20 December 2005 12.38pm
Here's our news story from back in July when the university announced their plans:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1658

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 20 December 2005 12.46pm
Assume PSGP = Princess Street Group Practice???

From a quick look at LSBU's website have just found that local great and the good have been told rather more than Joe Public or the representatives of the press.

The event was designed to explain the forward plans for re-generation of the Elephant & Castle area to a number of high-profile investors and employers as well as other private and public bodies. The briefing was held on the eighth floor of the Keyworth Centre which both affords great views of the locality, and is itself a successful example of the LSBU development plans.

Professor Deian Hopkin, LSBU's Vice Chancellor, talked about LSBU's continuing commitment to be at the heart of the community, and Peter Holliday, Project Director, gave an overview of the LSBU plans which include the new Health and Social Care Faculty, a new site to house the Students Union and the re-located Princess Street Primary Group Practice. He also presented plans for some landscaping of the local environment and for stabilization of the terraced buildings on London Road and Borough Road.
Councillor Nick Stanton addressed the audience on ‘Southwark's Vision' the origins for the re-generation initiative, and Chris Horn, Project Leader for the Elephant & Castle links talked about the need to build community-focused housing and commercial properties. The attendees included Simon Hughes, MP for North Southwark and Bermondsey, senior representatives of local companies such as Shell, the CE of the South London Employers Group, members of the London Development Agency and other notable organisations from across London.

Posted: 24th October 2005

Wednesday 21 December 2005 4.40pm
Ref the scaffolding at the southern end of Waterloo Road (opposite the new two storey flats on the former petrol station site)

I believe this is the same site as the following:-

284-302 Waterloo Road SE1
Planning Case File Number: TP/1241-288
Proposal: Demolition of existing building and redevelopment to provide a thirteen storey building comprising commercial space at basement, ground and first floor levels and 60 x 1, 2 and 3 bedroom residential units at second to eleventh floors plus associated car, motorcycle and cycle parking.

An earlier application for a 15 storey building was refused and the Southwark Council website indicates that the current application is still under consideration.

Regards
Steve
Friday 23 December 2005 10.21pm
LSBU has been in touch as a result of this thread.

In addition to some blurb about the Presbyterian Chapel and Students' Union development - as reported here in July - this is what they have to say about the scaffolding that is now appearing:

London South Bank University wrote:
The University is committed to maintaining these important heritage buildings to stabilizing, weatherproofing and partial renovation of these mainly derelict buildings. A detailed survey of the site has already begun and it is planned to erect scaffolding around the entire perimeter of the terraces as well as a temporary roofing structure. In early 2006, a temporary wrap will be mounted across the front of the terraces. Images replicating the look and features of original georgian facades will adorn the length of the hoarding. It is hoped that subsequent work to stabilize the terraces will begin in April 2006. The hoarding and scaffolding will remain in situ until the stabilization work is complete and we estimate that this will be in April 2007.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 18 January 2006 4.09pm by James Hatts.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions