London SE1 community website

London Road/Borough Road terraces & LSBU development

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 4 April 2008 9.02pm
Can anyone tell me what has now actually happened to the Duke of Clarence on St Georges Circus?
Was it demolished as I read somewhere or 'stabilised' for later decision making?
My Great Great Grandfather ran the pub in the 1850s and I would love to have any photos of it - especially inside - if there were any!
Saturday 5 April 2008 11.41am
The Duke of Clarence has just been restored as part of the LSBU scheme and looks very nice indeed. It's not actually open as a pub though, I don't know if there are any plans to reopen it.
Saturday 5 April 2008 11.52am
AIUI the buildings have been stabilised, made watertight and given a lick of paint but there hasn't been any substantive work on the interiors, so I wouldn't say the pub had been 'restored' as such. It's a long way from being usable again.

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3004

[Flojo - welcome. I moved your message into a slightly more recent thread about these buildings to help keep things in chronological order.]

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 5 April 2008 12.07pm
Oh I was confused by the outside appearance of the terrace, thanks James!

Does anyone know what the plans are for the terrace going forward and whether there are any plans for the very attractive building next to the terraces on Borough Road? It is currently covered in scafolding and looks to be in a pretty poor state. I presume that it is the Chapel referred to in earlier posts as being part of the Student Union scheme?
Saturday 5 April 2008 12.16pm
Last August the university announced that the development of the chapel site has been delayed due to lack of funding:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2872

There are no current specific proposals for the terraces that I am aware of.

Saturday 5 April 2008 12.30pm
Worth adding that these sites are part of the Elephant & Castle Enterprise Quarter Supplementary Planning Document that Southwark is currently consulting on.

Specifically, see the third page of this document:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/uploads/file_33323.pdf

Saturday 5 April 2008 3.51pm
Thank you all for your help. I'm in Dorset and have no hope of visiting so this was a good way to find out.
What a great site!
Saturday 5 April 2008 6.19pm
What are you DOING on our site Flojo, if you are in Dorset. Are you planning to come our way?????
Saturday 5 April 2008 9.04pm
Sorry jackie - I didn't realise it was only for residents!!!!
All my family are from SE1 - parents, grandparents, aunties, uncles, great granfathers, great great grandfathers. Does this qualify me to take part?
I love to read the site and keep up with things. It is an interesting website for anyone with any interest in the area, resident or not.
Saturday 5 April 2008 9.07pm
I think Jackie's question probably came across with an unfortunate tone which I don't imagine she intended.

You're certainly most welcome to take part in this forum.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions