London SE1 community website

Palestra: opposite Southwark station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Friday 4 November 2005 12.25am
[merged two recent threads on Palestra]

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 4 November 2005 1.24pm
It also gives a strong wind tunnel effect when walking up towards Blackfriars rd from Union St, which is not very nice.
Saturday 5 November 2005 8.20pm
Stíofán Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It also gives a strong wind tunnel effect when
> walking up towards Blackfriars rd from Union St,
> which is not very nice.

If all of the buildings planned along Blackfriars Road get built, there will be a definite Manhattan style tunnel lined by tall buildings from the river up to Southwark station. Palestra is like an extension to my bathroom mirror - all I see now from my windows on that side is a wall of glass.

There has been an application to change the use of the 'pod' in the building from shop to office, btw, so there might not be any part of it with access to the public. Can't really see the point of the change.

Friday 26 May 2006 7.50pm
This is a 15-storey tower being planned for a site just down the road from Palestra:-

Friday 26 May 2006 9.38pm
Ooooh, a steel frame with glass walls - original!
Friday 26 May 2006 9.49pm
can't see the above pic.

Palestra
The space aged lobby is sort of fun ,but I still don't like the overhanging edifice at the front.
Saturday 27 May 2006 6.59am
I happen to know the owner/developer of Palestra. I told him that people were pretty p-ssed off with the overhanging box and they didnt expect it. so he said it was always in the plans....well,I dunno. But it's not very nice and I told him so. His company is in the bidding for the Regeneration of the Elephant projects so I hope something nicer than THAT appears. In the meantime, who is the developer of the original (as Paul says) glass thingy in the picture?
Saturday 27 May 2006 10.17am
I rather like Palestra - for a big glass box which dominates views in the area, it's not too bad (in my opinion) and for once I'm not with Jackie, as I like the overhanging area.
Saturday 27 May 2006 10.43am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
In the meantime, who is the developer of the original (as Paul says) glass thingy in the picture?
It's Great Portland Estates -

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/buildings.php?id=4806

And I happen to think this tower is a superb design.
Saturday 27 May 2006 6.44pm
I can see the picture now.

Yorn.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions