London SE1 community website

Palestra: opposite Southwark station

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 30 May 2006 7.36am
Coming down the cut yesterday it did not look too bad, and I hate to admit that I even liked the front lobby ' mouth ' bit, it reminded me of the entrance to some disney type developement..if i worked there i would not be happy to work in the bit that juts out, especially at my weight! ubt the rotten things growing on me!
Tuesday 25 July 2006 10.43am
Palestra is now almost completed, and the rumours seem to have been true: Signs for the London Development Agency have gone up around the entrance to the building. Not sure, if they will be the only tenants though, as the LDA signs are at the "Pod" entrance, the bit that was supposed to be a small shop or a cafe.
ADT
Tuesday 25 July 2006 1.16pm
We went to the new Thai Silk in the arches (where, by the way, the service was excellent), and the view of Palestra from that perspective is pretty good - I don't like it close up because it looms, although I'm getting used to it. Also, from over that way and also from on The Cut, I think the 'pod' thing looks rather endearingly like a bug squashed under the weight of Palestra.
Wednesday 26 July 2006 1.31pm
its an interesting development, still not decided tho, i think the area will fundamentaly change with all those people moving in to the building, where are they all going to shop/buy lunch? i know costcutters is there but its not great.

but, my life has changed since they removed the shipping containers/offices that were blocking half of union st. overall not too bad,
Wednesday 26 July 2006 2.59pm
And I am hoping that that huge office will not be tapping into the same phone pipes as us, that would be the death of any considerable speed of our internet around here. But all in all it looks very nice, and they are tidying up all the pavements in the crossing as well, probably only to be dug up by some utility soon again.
Wednesday 26 July 2006 7.10pm
nelson_ wrote:
Not sure if they will be the only tenants though

No, they aren't. Transport for London will be occupying the remaining space (and incidentally, they will also be taking a substantial portion of the office space at the Shard over London Bridge Station).
Wednesday 26 July 2006 7.25pm
Is it right that our public money is spent on the rental of these expensive central London offices for government departments that may be better (and cheaper) sited in other areas away from the centre? Should this become another thread linked to the scandal of local authority and the public sector ignoring common sense of trying to keep public spending at a minimum. In the world we live in where Mr Prescott can get away with his questionnable antics and Ken is effectively an elected King in London, God help the soon to be minority working in the private sector or owning a London property, paying rates or driving a car.
Monday 31 July 2006 2.13pm
my first post on this thread, but from what i'm told the first of the LDA people are moving into Palestra around the 25th September, and they are also likely to be joined by other mayoral teams including the Climate Change people.

Obviously don't quote me on this, but I work very closely with various LDA people so I figure that they may be privvy to that sort of information (ie where their jobs are moving to)

of course I could make an equally cynical comment that suggests that they're as unlikely as anyone to know that sort of "privileged information".....
Monday 31 July 2006 2.26pm
Southwark's planning committee is considering the application for wind turbines on the roof of Palestra tomorrow night - as reported in May:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2178

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 31 July 2006 3.13pm
From the officers' report, the turbines look likely to get a planning thumbs-up:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/uploads/file_22235.pdf

But just wait for the outcry when the first pigeon is dessicated after flying into the turbines.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions