London SE1 community website

Raclette cheese

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 9 May 2005 3.59pm
I found it at Borough MArket, thank you though for your kind help!
Tuesday 10 May 2005 11.11am
Go to Aldi on the Old Kent Rd-they have it and it's lovely-probably cost a lot less than elsewhere too!
Post the recipe sometime!

Christianna
Tuesday 10 May 2005 12.00pm
Thanks, I will try Aldi next time, could be a bargain,
You need a special grill to make it, you are welcome to borrow mine, its so simple!
Typically I just cook some spuds, and keep them warm on the grill in a pyrex bowl, then we each have a pan with which to cook the cheed, melt it an pour it over the potatoes, plus salami, ham, spring onions, tomatoes, whatever you like really. It so simple yet everyone really likes it!
Tuesday 10 May 2005 12.03pm
As a French person, I can tell you there is no actual recipe for raclette. It is basically a recipe for a someone too lazy or too busy to cook. You just buy the right stuff and you get your guests to do the cooking. You need the raclette cheese (preferabley already cut in slices if you are really in a hurry) and the electric appliance (small individual pans under a round heater). Guests will melt the cheese in the little pans and then pour it over boiled potatoes and all kind of charcuterie (different hams, rosette dry sausage....) and pickled onions and gerkhins. Unfortunately, I must say that English gerkhins are too sweet . French ones are smaller, more vinegary and very crunchy. And of course don't forget the nice white wine, Alsacian white such as Gewurztraminer is perfect.
If you need a recipe for cheese fondue, this is another matter. I am afraid my mother forbids me to spread family recipes...
Bon appetit
Wednesday 18 May 2005 10.42am
Hi Kerryl,
Just what is this special grill like as I have contacts in France and I'm planning to nip over to Bruge soon?. Do you think I can get one anywhere in France?
Sounds like my kind of food.
Bought a slab of Raclette last night in Aldi-cost 1.56!
Bon Appetit!

Christianna
Wednesday 18 May 2005 10.46am
It is circular, electric and two layers. On the top you keep your potatoes warm, or cook bacon, chicken, whatever and underneath you cook your cheese, it is very light so would be easy to transport.
Friday 29 December 2006 4.09pm
I'm sorry to bump up such an old thread, but having recently moved to London I was keen to find a cheese shop that sold raclette. The Rippon Cheese Store was a great place to go!

Also, I recently bought a raclette grill at John Lewis for about 35.

Cheers,

-Hoch
Friday 29 December 2006 4.39pm
This area of Pimlico is fantastic for Saturday morning 'village' style shopping. The cheese shop is excellent, the fruit and veg stall is superb and the larger of the two fish stalls is fantastic (the one next to, not opposite, the fruit stall. The bloke who runs it (John) was on that Come Dine With Me programme on Channel 4 recently!
Friday 29 December 2006 5.42pm
Lidl on OKR have/had a special offer on a raclette grill not long ago.

http://takemystuff.co.uk <-- free stuff and get rid of your unwanted stuff
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions