London SE1 community website

Supermarkets near Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Wednesday 25 September 2002 3.43pm
A while ago, on this forum, there was some talk of Sainsbury's and Tesco fighting over a site on Borough High Street.

Some said it was opposite Belushi's and others said it was closer to London Bridge.

Does anyone know of any updates to this?

I recently email Sainy's advising them to consider Borough High Street as a location. More emails along the same lines might push it up the priority list...
Tuesday 8 October 2002 4.13am
Not convinced about Waitrose delivering to SE1 (well, they won't to me anyway). Tesco, Sainsbury and Asda do deliver to SE1 though and maybe others do too. Costs 5 to deliver so obviously not worth it for packet of crisps.
I like to buy the heavy, mass-produced stuff over the net every so often and visit local shops for the rest, and take a walk to Borough Market at the weekends for treats. Can only speak from experience but there's a couple of pretty decent shops in The Cut which are **always** open) and I bet there are plenty elsewhere.
Tuesday 8 October 2002 11.07pm
Please support Iceland! Its turnover is not apparently enough to satisfy its bosses, but it is a very useful local facility. Otherwise you are reduced to using costcuters: OK but they don't appear to me to cut many costs.
Wednesday 9 October 2002 9.22am
the costcutters in great dover street often have out of date chilled foods....sometimes with a label obscuring part of it..
Wednesday 9 October 2002 11.18am
Anne - I think I must be Iceland's best customer. I agree - it is very usefyl and actually very good for fresh stuff too.

The problem is that they have started closing at 6pm. It is always packed at 5:55pm but the 'bosses' appear not to realise that they are probably shutting the shop for the most lucrative hour of the day, 6-7pm.
Wednesday 9 October 2002 12.19pm
haven't tried them, but Iceland do internet deliveries <iceland.co.uk>
Wednesday 9 October 2002 12.21pm

I heard Sainsbury's is opening in Borough High Street - can anyone confirm?
Wednesday 9 October 2002 3.32pm
yes, I can confirm - it's going in opposite Belushi's where the big hole in the ground is. Spoke to the builder!
Friday 11 October 2002 11.53am
well that's good news.

good job on the e-mails, CS!
Tam
Friday 11 October 2002 1.52pm
anyone know anymore about sainsburys on borough high street? ETA etc?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions