London SE1 community website

Supermarkets near Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
CS
Monday 14 October 2002 4.32pm
Great news about Sainsbury's opening on Borough High Street.

I'm sure we all frequent Borough Market as much as we can (afford to), but as their choice of nappies is limited, particularly on a Sunday morning, it will be a welcome addition to the area.

Welcome too any competition for cost cutters - overpriced, outdated with a limited range - great if you want 17 types of drinking yoghurt or Sunny Delight in a variety of sickly flavours, but rubbish if you want a rare delicacy such as bread or peas. I heard someone called them C*cksuckers, once! And don't even get me started on the service...

I'll email Sainsbury's and try to get an ETA from them.

---

Also, does anyone know any forum or body to help fill the other vacant shops on Borough High Street (Shoefayre, etc). I'm thinking of things like the Bankside Residents' Forum - can they or anyone else help perhaps alert retailers to a site's availability?
Tam
Monday 14 October 2002 4.51pm
dont want to sound cynical but I'll believe it when I see it re. sainsburys on borough high street!
as for costcutters, the one on great dover isn't too bad. they have loads of product lines and they also sell four types of freshly baked organic bread! You can't beat Costcutter FM though, listening to the dj practically rapping the cost of Jammy Dodgers over the top of Craig David et al is priceless and fantastic.
Monday 14 October 2002 5.11pm
Think you a point there Tam, where would shoppers park there cars!
Tam
Monday 14 October 2002 5.23pm
well it could be one of those sainsburys drop in things, like a Tesco metro so there wouldnt need to be a car park, but still, it all seems a little bit too good to be true! fingers crossed though, be nice if JS proved me wrong!
CS
Monday 14 October 2002 5.28pm
Tam and Jan

I've emailed Sains so we'll see what they say. They may deny it though even if it is true (they might think I work for Tesco!)

If there is one it would definitely be a Sainsbury's 'Local' or 'Central' - very few of which have parking anyway, and are on red routes (the one on Queenstown Rd/Wandsworth Rd, at Clapham Junction, on Fulham Rd, on Victoria St....)

(not that I fill my brain with useless trivia, of course...!)
Monday 14 October 2002 5.31pm
Don't forget that we're supposed to be getting a Sainsbury's Central on Stamford Street, and there's supposed to be some kind of supermarket in the More London complex too.
Monday 14 October 2002 9.42pm
CS - in response to your comments about vacant shops, the Bankside Traders Association is probably the relevant organisation - website http://www.banksidetraders.org.uk
Monday 14 October 2002 10.45pm
Some six months ago, there was a planning application made for the conversion to a supermarket of the block of eight shops which are part of the St Christopher's House complex, half way along the north side of Southwark Street.

I don't know who was behind this application or how it fared, but the long period of silence suggests that it may just have been speculative.

No doubt we will suddenly find ourselves flooded with supermarkets and will then bemoan the loss of the hard-working little sole traders and the long-standing family businesses. Anyway, what's the point of a supermarket without a car park?
Tuesday 15 October 2002 7.53am
Tesco Metro do a roaring business by the Bank of England and they don't have a carpark. I suppose people use their legs and public transport!
Tuesday 15 October 2002 3.28pm
According to my contact at Sainsbury's, there's definitely going to be a Sainsbury Central in Stamford Street, but the Borough High Street one is just a rumour....
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions