London SE1 community website

Supermarkets near Waterloo

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Tuesday 15 October 2002 3.46pm
maybe it's a tesco then or a M&S (which would be very posh!) - do wonders for my house price. Might encourage all the sloane rangers up from Clapham
Wednesday 16 October 2002 11.00am
Tom said: "Metro do a roaring business by the Bank of England and they don't have a car park. I suppose people use their legs and public transport!"

Tesco Metro is an overgrown sandwich bar. Nice for the occasional lunchtime soup or a tub of Lurpak on the way to the bus, but nof for heavy-duty larder replenishment.

And of course, over in the City you can pay people in expensive big black cars to drive to around. I have never actually seen one in SE1, but I hear they are called "taxis".

I can't get my 24-packs of Fosters on the handlebars of my bike. You don't want me sitting next to you on the bus with my three full carrier bags and a screaming infant. I will have to drive to Bluewater instead. Now where's my English-Kentish dictionary?
Wednesday 16 October 2002 11.06am
How does an English-Kentish dictionary differ from any the OED then? I think someone's having a go at me..!
Tam
Wednesday 16 October 2002 12.40pm
Don't worry Tom, I know what you mean! A Tesco metro is still a 100% better that what's there already...car park or no car park!
Thursday 17 October 2002 1.03am
Tom

I would never knowingly offend you or any other of the dear folks in this forum. My aim is to amiably answer the question posed by Moggy some weeks ago.

Q: Why are there no supermarkets near Waterloo?
A: You can't park your car there.

A Parable:
Four decades ago, there were lots of supermarkets in the middle of town. You could park anywhere because there weren't any yellow lines or parking meters or traffic wardens or Denver boots or tow-away trucks, but most people didn't have cars so that it didn't matter much where they parked. Most shoppers pushed folding prams or dragged those little tartan trolley things around, cursing at the potholes in the pavement and struggling with four carrier bags and a screaming tot on the bus. But the supermarkets sold huge bulk packs of frozen peas and toilet rolls that you couldn't possible carry very far, and canny people discovered that they could afford a little runabout for the weekend shopping.

As time went by, the council allowed ugly, scary, multi-storey car parks, imposed 20-minutes-only parking bays and all the other laughable so-called traffic management fascism. This made the urban supermarket experience rather less enjoyable.

Then some bright spark built a huge supermarket on a disused wartime airfield out in the suburbs where there was loads of cheap real estate for a big free car park. A brilliant idea, because the suburbs is where most people live, and so housewives no longer had to travel all the way in to town to shop. The urban tartan trolley pushers hated this idea because the busses don't go there. The rest of us bought cars so that we could drive from supermarket to supermarket, comparing prices and saving 2d a can on baked beans.

The town centre supermarkets all closed because we stopped shopping in them. We couldn't park our cars, you see. The council wouldn't let us.

Moral:
We live and work in the wrong place for supermarkets.
VM
Saturday 19 October 2002 6.10pm
Walked past the big hole opposite Belushi's on Borough High Street today, it is now rapidly filling in! Anyway one of the boards on the fencing says something about NHBC, which presumably indicates yet more flats. I suppose the ground floor could be given over to a supermarket, but there's no mention.
Saturday 19 October 2002 10.08pm
miss jojo and co

WHEN o WHEN is sainsbury's opening on stamford st. i live quite close to there ! respect
CS
Monday 21 October 2002 9.20am
Re the opening of the Sains on Stamford St - it's going into their old Head Office on the corner of Blackfriar's Road, which is being redeveloped but has only JUST had its scaffolding put up, so I guess it might be 6-12 months off yet.

Re the hole opposite Belushi's - as well as hearing it's going to be a Sains (now said to be a rumour by The lady miss JoJo above) I've also heard it'll be an M&S simply food....!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Tuesday 22 October 2002 9.07pm
I really think borough high street needs aSupermarket like a hole in the head. Being a borough resident for the past 10 years I have taken great pleasure in watching borough market emerge from a desolate traders site, only active at 4 am - to THE place in london to get the best of british food - with the benefits of supporting our farmers too.
Why oh why do we want a massive chain to come and put all that at jeopardy - where were the big chains before the small suppliers carved out a niche here??

We have something unique to enjoy and support - can't you think of somewhere else - some other high street with............a supermarket on it to go to????
Tuesday 22 October 2002 11.05pm
jc jc

how elitist!

It may have been a pleasure to witness the success of borough martket but not everyone living in SE1 wants to (or can afford to) shop there. Some people prefer to go to Selfridges Food Hall or Harvey Nichols.

Anyway, a Sainsbury's on Borogh High Street would be ideal, and the closer to Trinity Church Square the better - especially with all the new developments (on tabard st and on cole st) about to swamp the square.

By the way we also support farmers by buying from foodstores - if nobody bought then the foodstores wouldn't buy from farmers.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions