London SE1 community website

Liberty & Livelihood March

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Wednesday 18 September 2002 1.30pm

Humane.

Cruel.

Two very emotive words. What, please Mike, in your opinion do you consider to be a humane method of killing a fox? A long drawn out death from poison? A long drawn out death from gangrene where the marksman's bullet didn't quite hit the target? I suspect that your experience of killing animals is very limited, and that your argument is (to use your own word) rubbish. Have you ever put an animal down? I have, using a humane killer and it's not an instant death - there's really no such thing as an instant death. Humane is a relative term. The Americans have no method of guaranteeing a quick death for those whom they execute; do you believe that a marksman with a rifle standing two fields away from a fox is going to have a better chance?

In stating that hunting is not cruel, I merely quote from a Government report, the Burns Inquiry:
http://www.huntinginquiry.gov.uk/mainsections/huntingframe.htm

Do you approve of fishing for fun?

Finally, it is Pure myth ('rubbish') that hunting is a preserve of the wealthy. The majority of hunts in Britain draw most of their support from other than wealthy people e.g. farmers, farm hands and those who have retired from such activities. Of course there are plenty of wealthy people who hunt, but there are lots of poor people. It costs nothing to follow foxhounds on foot.

What it does go to show is that the desire to ban hunting is deeply rooted in jealousy of the urban classes of the perceived toffs' way of life. I, as many others who hunt, come from an ordinary background; why we should have to suffer for the class hatred which has nothing to do with the fox.

Anybody ever been out hunt saboteuring? Ever broadcast broken glass across a field so that the horses' feet will be cut up, so they cannot continue. Animal lovers? Scarcely; merely people with nothing better to do with their lives.
Wednesday 18 September 2002 1.53pm
All these well-structured arguments have convinced me I'm wrong. Of course it's not cruel to kill foxes - I'm just too thick to realise this. And of course it's not wrong to hunt - I now realise my jealousy made me feel that way.

Thank God someone has elucidated me. What ho, countryside lover - see you at the meet next week.

Lady Jo Jo
Wednesday 18 September 2002 2.31pm
Countryside Fan.... are you a vet? as you have humanely destroyed animals, does that mean when people take their beloved pets for euthunasia under the illusion that death is instantaneous they are wrong?

your right fishing for 'fun' is cruel, and so is putting broken glass where any animal can hurt itself is dreadful, I never knew hunt sabateurs did that, it would be far better if the glass were inside the hunters 'jods' instead!

I now realise that it's my deep rooted jealousy of the urban classes of the Master of Hunt or Toffs enjoying themselves, not my apparent dislike of someone enjoying the death of an animal in such a beastly way.

Lady Jo Jo I am now elucidated as well....;-)
Wednesday 18 September 2002 2.58pm

Ouch, Jan Lane.

So far as you're concerned it obviously is not be class hatred. It is however a very unpleasant form of hatred when you propose putting broken glass inside the jods of the riders.

Are you an animal lover? If so, are not humans animals too?

I find it a very strange form of compassion that wishes to inflict damage on your fellow human beings, thus exposing an aspect of hunt saboteurs anybody who hunts has come to know.

Save the fox? Who cares. Hurt the horses and hurt the hunting people. Break the law too, it doesn't matter. So what that people who hunt are engaging in a lawful pursuit.
Wednesday 18 September 2002 3.26pm
Countryside Fan, are you deliberately misunderstanding things, or are you just thick?

Actually, don't bother replying to that - I think your previous posts answer my question.
Wednesday 18 September 2002 3.59pm
"So what that people who hunt are engaging in a lawful pursuit."

not for long me thinks.

as for Jane Lane's comments about glass in jods I'd look up sarcasm in the dictionary if I were you. but then again if you are using the rational of survival of the fittest, then why not? if I am bigger, fitter and stronger than you then why don't I chase you through fields on horseback with packs of dogs, because I perceive idiots like you to be a threat to my way of life. Now I don't do this and why, maybe because I have an ounce of decency in by body and don't kill for pleasure and disguise the lust for blood as a way of keeping the countryside beautiful for tourists.
Wednesday 18 September 2002 7.03pm
i'm with mike b and JoJo but i can't believe how much has been written on the subject. i'm not convinced that fox hunting is anything other than some sort of sadistic fun, but i'm sure that it's way down the list of global horrors that we should be turning our attention to.

in a world where countries are set against each other, streets are being 'cleansed' of homeless children and one-god religions threaten global freedom, shouldn't we be exploring what we have in common, rather than what separates us?

on a lighter note - sunday is car free day, so if you fancy a bit of sport, go to the countryside march and see a few angry landrover drivers trying to navigate the city!
Jai
Wednesday 18 September 2002 11.29pm
Country side fan... up until now I was actually thinking that you could argue reasonably... it seems not...

as the french say ' that is life'

Varkenslachter
Thursday 19 September 2002 8.17am
Just found out that the pre march party is on at the Bridge SE1 on Saturday night

great so our street will be filled with pasty/cider vomit and welly footprints on Sunday. ;-)

Show a man how to make fire and he will be warm for hours, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Thursday 19 September 2002 10.42am
As all these dreadful pro-hunt types are going to be marching in London this weekend I'm off to the country.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions