London SE1 community website

Liberty & Livelihood March

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9
Tuesday 24 September 2002 12.24pm

I'm afraid Tom that much of the 'sudden silence' on this thread is due to the fact that we are bored with your pointless provocation.

I (like most others I suspect) will now be lurking around other more relevent issues.

Bye.
Tuesday 24 September 2002 12.29pm
How do you know we don't campaign against intensive farming methods, Tom?

What is it with all these pro-hunting types jumping to conclusions and misinterpreting the posts of those against hunting?
Tuesday 24 September 2002 1.08pm
If you really believe in animal welfare, then the argument is entirely relevant.

Lady Jo-Jo, if you are campaigning against intensive farming methods then you are entirely consistent and I applaud you. For those that don't, your double-standards are exactly what annoys 'pro-hunting types'.

Steven, your lack of humour gives you away. A little banner helps makes serious points more digestible.

I'm off to digest something more palatable
dan
Wednesday 25 September 2002 4.30am
With reference to Countryside Fans remarks, and with much thanks for his contribution to Car Free Day,I cannot help but wonder why; if hunting is such a good way to keep the fox population down, the hunters havent organised some inner city hunts ? The fox population of London is actually quite big and maneouvering a pack of hounds through London traffic would qualify the endeavour as an extreme sport like a kind of point to point with car jumps.
Jai
Wednesday 25 September 2002 8.19am
No doubt the Mayor would fully support the idea of a 'city-hunt'. Anything that helps block up more roads and adds to congestion gets his big thumbs up.

My silence tom, is due to the fact that I've been at work and out in the town. I'll make sure to let you know in advance next time I'm absent. I was never aware that I made such contributions to this thread to be named as a zealous jesuit.

I'm all up for 'freedom' I just wished people were a little more aware of other peoples freedom being affected by their own actions. Now this can in turn be taken to extremes.

I once heard a Frenchman say "Live and let live"... but then his English was quite good !

Varkenslachter
Wednesday 25 September 2002 8.36am
hurrah! our ability to 'live and let live' is one of the best things about living in this country.

The threat of intolerance was one of the main reasons why I marched on Sunday.

Tolerance is a very fragile quality...
Wednesday 25 September 2002 11.27am
Just curious C.F..... what happens to the hounds when they are too old to hunt? Would they be suitable for families as pets? as they are kept in kennels would they be able to mix with cats children etc.?
Wednesday 25 September 2002 11.59am
I can't get very excited about foxes one way or the other. However, I suspect the organisers of this march realise that they don't have mass support on that one narrow issue, so they've fudged the approach to make it look more broadly based.

I notice that they also claim to be campaigning to address "the real problems of the countryside which are destroying its communities". Surely one thing that its destroying country life is the collapse of public services in rural areas, such as withdrawal of unprofitable bus services, closure of hospitals, schools, etc.

And when did that process get under way? Why, under the Tories with their policy of market forces. I bet 90% of the marchers voted for that at the time, so I think they have a real brass neck now trying to suggest that it's all the fault of New Labour.

By the way, I spent most of my childhood in a rural agricultural village in a remote part of East Yorkshire, so I need no lessons about the reality of the countryside, thank you very much.

Paul
Wednesday 25 September 2002 12.23pm
Paul,

The Tories probably do have something to do with it. Personally, I'm all for market forces - let's have some in the London Underground!!!

Let me be the first to admit that farming is totally uneconomic - it was encouraged after we nearly ran out of food in the last 2 wars. If you can guarantee we won't have another, then there's no strategic rationale for it and, speaking brutally, it should go the way of mining (and it is, so..).

Thatcher's brand of economics has done this country more favours than most would like to admit. Just look at the state of France, Germany and Japan to see what you have happened to us if we'd stuck with a unionised workforce. They have structural unemployment of over 8% and cronic deflation!!

Oh, how I love pub politics...bring it on!!
Wednesday 25 September 2002 2.07pm
Tom

"Personally, I'm all for market forces"
Let's hope you are being ironic. Otherwise, you expose the contradiction that was at the heart of this aspect of the protest.

The closure of rural services (post offices, bus services, etc) has more to do with the previous administration's over-reliance on market forces. It also has a SIGNIFICANT amount to do with the selfish attitude of the average person who, driving his car to the out-of-town shopping mall, thinks it is someone else's problem that bus services are being closed on economic grounds.

Where I come from, in a lovely rural part of Yorkshire, people regularly drive to Leeds and Meadow Hall in Sheffield instead of purchasing locally. At least us SE1-dwellers support the concept of independent food producers with our popular Borough Market.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 8 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions