London SE1 community website

Bars and Restaurants in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Friday 3 June 2005 11.14am
I would be curious to know what Phil and Jonathan think about our advice and what they will decide....
Saturday 16 July 2005 3.04pm
Hi,

Just a follow up to our post -
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/36388

Thanks for all your replies, which were very useful. Nothing still as yet, but we're still pursuing the original building and following up a few other things.

What we thought we might ask after the large number of helpful responses last time, was whether people had any ideas about community support for the project. We're thinking that it might be useful to get some support from groups in the local area so we've been doing a bit of research into residents groups, community groups, chamber of commerce, local council etc. We're approaching various people and have got a good contact at the planning office who has been helpful on various issues, but we were wondering if anyone had any suggestions / contacts for others.

Again, any thoughts appreciated, and we promise to invite you to the opening party!

Cheers
Phil & Jonathan
Saturday 16 July 2005 3.10pm
Can you be more specific? What exactly is your project about and what kind of community support would you expect? I just remember that you asked about possible locations for a restaurant but was not aware of a project..
Monday 18 July 2005 6.05pm
There is a great site on Tooley Street more or less next door to the Cycle shop 100m or so from London Bridge tube. It used to be a restaurant when I first moved to the area about 4 years ago but shortly afterwards they closed and its been boarded up and derelict ever since.

A friend and I took a look around the site last autumn with a view to try to open a restaurant there ourselves (he has previously been a restaurateur in Chelsea) but sadly the place was in such disrepair, and is subject to a truly appalling lease from Network Rail who own the freehold, we had to ditch the idea.

If it is the same place you have been looking at, good luck! But I should read the lease very carefully!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 18 July 2005 6.06pm by robbie.
Wednesday 20 July 2005 11.55pm
Hi,

The project is basically a bar / restaurant with an emphasis on high-quality food and drink in an original and relaxing atmosphere. Having both worked in bars / clubs / hotels for years, we're aiming to be more of a bar than a gastropub with a focus on being an independent local venue rather than a 'London' one.

What we're looking for a bit of help with is advice / direction regarding residents groups, community groups, chamber of commerce, local council etc. - we're approaching people ourselves, but thought we might post here again to see if anyone here had any useful contacts to get things moving smoother / quicker!

Cheers
Phil & Jonathan

PS - Thanks for the tip Robbie, but we checked it out last year - it's been let now to someone.
Thursday 21 July 2005 10.53am
Have you found a location yet? What would be your preference?
Friday 22 July 2005 4.05pm
how about taking over Simon the Tanner?
Saturday 23 July 2005 12.31pm
If you are looking for increasingly upmarket area that is totally unserved by trendy places to go then try Walworth, all around the Walworth Rd. I realise this is not SE1 but it always amazes me that this area is so overlooked by bars. It has the feel of Hoxton before the trendiness arrived, especially East St...even Peckham has gastropubs and designy bars but nothing in Walworth, even though it is so close to semi-posh Kennington.

I'd also echo the opinions by others re Tower Bridge Road, Gt Dover St and the Elephant area - the latter area has so many art students as well as being up and coming and would probably be mobbed.

Northern end of OKR is also up and coming, lots of development but no decent bars at all. But zero cute vibe.
Saturday 23 July 2005 5.46pm
There's an upper & lower ground floor A3 unit at the bottom of Bermondsey Street, part of an industrial conversion - the shell is nearly finished. Not sure if it's been let yet.
Sunday 24 July 2005 4.34pm

If you will look as far away as SE11 (Kennington) there may be a unit on the ground floor of the old cinema development on the corner of Black Prince Road. Always worth following Pizza Express for their locations - they do their research ruthlessly.

The problem with trendy locations is that they are difficult to make pay - I always thought a modern version of an American Diner would go down well in Kennington (think cheap version of Wolsey) - you would pick up the morning coffee crowd, lunching business people, afternoon tea for the kids and cheap dinner outings - so the turnover per cover would be pretty interesting...

What you need is a mixed office and resi area with a decent number of families to keep up the daytime turnover.

Regards,

Loafer
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions