London SE1 community website

Traffic Calming for West Square Area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 24 September 2002 3.27pm
I am one of those toffs, that's why I can afford to spend all my time in the forum.
Tuesday 24 September 2002 3.39pm
ma'am,

of course, that goes without saying!
Wednesday 25 September 2002 11.29am
John thats the beauty of this forum...that the facts come out sooner or later! thank you for correcting me.......I will now avail myself of the community facilities of the church....
Wednesday 25 September 2002 6.58pm
Sorry if you don't like the tone of the reply - but getting rather fed-up with the number of people who mistakenly believe that TCS and it's environs are peopled by this huge bourgeoise community who have banned cars from their leafy avenues at the drop of a hat by dropping a backhander to TfL.

It just isn't like that.

In fact nothing could be further from the truth.

What's going wrong when closing a ratrun to through traffic is so audacious that it causes such an out-cry.

Maybe it's a symptom of a bigger problem - that this city is straining at it's seams.
VM
Thursday 26 September 2002 12.26am
At the risk of inviting Mr Helme to scold my childishness, comments about haves and have-nots aside, I do think that some people here do make cutting, defensive, aggressive comments which are not easily read without a bit of blood boiling...

I am aware of the property prices in TCS (not cheap by any stretch of the imagination), I know of some outrageously spoilt behaviour experienced by a work colleague who used to rent a flat in TCS, and I have seen the opposition to converting the old pub on the corner into flats. There is a desire to have a 'local' public house in TCS (despite the fact that there are at least four pubs very nearby, one of which is exceedingly olde worlde, ie, apparently sells proper booze - not being a drinker, I don't know what this means) within staggering distance. History, tradition, blah blah... The council seemed rather persuaded by the well-spoken TCS people arguing against conversion of a derelict eyesore to flats, but rather harsher on other people in less upmarket areas who campaigned for change/non-change on their estates. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it.

Closing this ratrun makes no sense whatsoever when the traffic is diverted through smaller roads which are equally residential - why not close off the entire road intead of moving the barrier halfway down the road and rerouting back to Great Dover Street or down to Borough High Street in the most awkward way possible? The nonsense of this new plan was always going to invite questions regarding the fact that a specific part of the area has been protected to the detriment of nearby streets.

No one seems to be accusing TCS of giving 'backhanders' to the powers that be. Mr Criddle is clearly a member of a non-bourgeois community who for some reason suggests Borough Market as a replacement for a large supermarket, which I think gives some indication of where he is coming from.

Mild rant over
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions