London SE1 community website

Olleys fish and chip shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Monday 12 February 2007 11.34am
is Masters closed on Sunday? all the online listings didnt list any sunday hours, and i tried to call last night with no answer, so went to Fishcotheque instead. annoying if it really closes sundays, i would have thought that would be a busy night!
Monday 12 February 2007 1.07pm
Chippies are normally closed on Sundays, in my experience.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 12 February 2007 1.16pm
I've roamed the streets like a zombie near to tears looking for a chippy on a sunday.
I like chips.
Monday 12 February 2007 2.04pm
I have stopped going to olleys a year ago. I just never get first-rate stuff there, and if you are eating fried stuff it has to be great.

As everyone says, Masters is marvellous. And they have a lunch special for eat-in anyway. I can't remember the price but I found it such good value.

The long lane fish bar, by the flower shop, the meticulously-designed flats is the nuts (to steal a phrase). Maurits can vouch for this - he stole a chip from me ayear ago. Never forgiven him.
Monday 12 February 2007 3.10pm
beetroot wrote:
I got chips for an extortionate 1.95 from that new 'proper fish and chips' place in Borough Market. They were only just cooked and there weren't many. Why are good chippys so rare? It can't be that difficult.

I go out of my way to get to Tower Fish Centre, I've recommneded it to friends and they love it too.

See http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/info/303/tower-fish-centre
Monday 12 February 2007 4.19pm
There is a very good Fish and Chip shop called Fish Bar on the corner of Borough High Street and London Bridge Street it is new'ish and they sell *real* chips!!
Monday 12 February 2007 5.04pm
Avoid Olley's in SE1 like the plague!!! Get on the number 3 - and go to their Herne Hill branch - it really is great! (I don't work for them, honest! I just adore their SE24 shop...)
Monday 12 February 2007 5.16pm
Whenever I go in Olleys, which I haven't done in a while because the chips were getting rubbish, the man that serves me does something really funny. My friends have noticed it too. He moves in the style of someone working really fast, but takes longer than most!
Monday 12 February 2007 10.24pm
There is a fantastic chippy on St.James Road just off the Blue,I think it is called St James Fish Bar (Lots of thought there lol)I am not sure if it is strictly still SE1 but it is definitely worth a visit,George the guy who works there is great,they get quite busy but you can call ahead and order.My Gran who hails from up North claims they have the best mushy peas in London.The chips are lovely and the fish always tastes really fresh.
I have no connection other than as a satisfied -rather too satisfied on ocaision-customer.The portions are huge
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions