London SE1 community website

What's the best cafe in Borough?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 16 June 2005 1.52pm
If I'm really hungry I'll do both.
Anonymous User
Thursday 16 June 2005 2.31pm
Sounds like you're planning a hangover.
Thursday 16 June 2005 2.34pm
No better hair of the dog than at the Boot & Flogger - should be open by the time you've put 2 breakfasts away
Thursday 16 June 2005 2.34pm
Oddly enough, I'm not. But these things are usually better after a few beers the night before.
Thursday 16 June 2005 2.47pm
bmovie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No better hair of the dog than at the Boot &
> Flogger - should be open by the time you've put 2
> breakfasts away

And really nice sandwiches too!

<* feeling hungry, now, time for second lunch soon... *>
Thursday 16 June 2005 3.28pm
I don't know the Boot & Flogger, I may go to the Ape & Urinal, they do a nice ploughman's.
Friday 17 June 2005 9.33am
I went to Terry's, it didn't smell too bad but it was very noisy. Several customers bellowing at each other across the room, it wasn't just me, my companions found it very noisy too. That aside, the decor is nice: several cases of stuffed fish and dozens of photographs of the area from times past. My black pudding, bubble and tomatoes was fine, although I've yet to find bubble that matches that of the Borough Cafe. Terry and son were very jolly and well dressed, both wore white shirts and ties. I don't do caffeine, so I can't tell you about the coffee or tea.
Friday 17 June 2005 11.05am
You can still get Borough Cafe bubble - Maria, daughter of the owners of Borough runs a small Borough cafe on Stoney Street and I regularly enjoy her bubble and her bacon sarnies! I don't think she opens every day though - seems to be thursday onwards but I might be wrong.

There is a new cafe where the Borough cafe used to be but I don't think its the same thing, though I haven't been in. Borough cafe had to close because of the proposed thameslink work but thats been delayed so long I think they are letting out the properties again - theres a new restaurant called Glas as well thats very good, sells swedish food and lots of nice vodka!
Saturday 3 September 2005 1.26pm
a man called Tharg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Borough Cafe was always the best, the bubble and
> squeak was fantastic. I'm off to Terry's tomorrow
> morning - I'll report back.

The Cafe in Park Street closed, but Maria and her notorious bubble I noticed are still around more into the market - on Bedale Street I think, or maybe it's Stoney Street.
Saturday 3 September 2005 6.50pm
Actually Maria is now inside the main building of the market, once again dispensing excellent breakfasts and more.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions