London SE1 community website

Smelly Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Wednesday 10 August 2005 4.02pm
Thanks for posting that cej. Havent been down to enjoy the smells but warmed by the sentiment of the story.
Jac
Thursday 11 August 2005 3.05pm
I wish they would but in a little shop front or counter where you could buy the bread. It is so frustrating having a bakery so near yet no where to get good bread on a daily basis. okay you can get good bread at the borough market but it is very expensive and not available every day. Tescos breadis not as good as it use to be, Greggs is awful as is the bread from Ocado.
Thursday 11 August 2005 3.50pm
I so agree with that, Jac. I know that some people knock on the door to buy some bread, and depending on the willingness of the person at the door, that works. But, a decent bakery in the area. other then Gregg, would be lovely.
Thursday 11 August 2005 6.21pm
Good on CEJ for having registered an account just to talk about Ticino. All his posts to date are on this thread. And good on him for having been in to talk to them frequently about their plumbing problems - or rather their non-plumbing problems. He's been in frequently enough to discuss their plumbing with them to know that it has been an on-going problem

As he obvoiusly gets on so well with them, perhaps he could tell us a bit more about their retail policy.

Alternatively, he could take his mask off.

All credit, however, to Ticino for public spiritedness.
cej
Thursday 11 August 2005 10.28pm
The Mapmaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good on CEJ for having registered an account just
> to talk about Ticino. All his posts to date are
> on this thread. And good on him for having been
> in to talk to them frequently about their plumbing
> problems - or rather their non-plumbing problems.
> He's been in frequently enough to discuss their
> plumbing with them to know that it has been an
> on-going problem
>

Well that's what happens when the friendly people next door ask you to do them a favour - they were concerned about the amount of noise being made here and as they're not on the net asked me to voice my opinion, which is what I have done. To do that I did have to register.

And, a couple of corrections to the statement "...been in frequently enough to discuss their plumbing with them to know that it has been an on-going problem":
(a) I haven't been in there to discuss plumbing, ever.
(b) I don't know where you get the knowledge that it's been an ongoing problem from. Please explain. As far as I can tell from my visits there it's not ever been a problem until the noise in this thread started - and it's not a plumbing problem on their premises as explained earlier.
(c) They do call me to inform me of their side of the story when they find factual incorrect stories being posted here which other friendly neighbours print off for them...

It does sound like you have an issue with my role here - if that is the case let me know what it is, please.

>
> As he obvoiusly gets on so well with them, perhaps
> he could tell us a bit more about their retail
> policy.
>

If you really want to know - hjow about ringing the bell on the right hand side of their door and asking?

For what it's worth I believe it's illegal for a non-retail business to conduct retail on the premises and know that some of the earlier whiners tried to use this as a reason for asking the council to close the bakery.

> Alternatively, he could take his mask off.
>

If you mean that 'cej' is more of a mask than 'The Mapmaker' I fail to see it...
However, since you ask in such a friendly way, I'm quite willing to disclose my identity if you do so.

>
> All credit, however, to Ticino for public
> spiritedness.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11 August 2005 10.31pm by cej.
Friday 12 August 2005 8.34am
In which case I apologise unreservedly for linking you with the bakery.

I have read the thread very carefully, and the posts have all been supportive of Ticino - right from the start. Nobody has ever directly accused Ticino as being the source of the smell; they have merely located the smell as being close to Ticino. (At the very worst, transmiral doubted that a baker's could cause that sort of smell.)

The main call has been for them to open a retail counter on Bermondsey St. - not to close down.

The only person in this thread who has described Ticino problems as being ongoing is you: 'Because of the noise being made about the bakery in the past, and at the present, here, they are slightly unhappy when accused of being the source of the bad smell in the street near the bakery.'
cej
Friday 12 August 2005 12.07pm
Thanks for that... let it rest on the note that I'd also love a proper bakery in the street so I'll have a chat next time I have a chance.

Any candidates for a good location?

Friday 12 August 2005 1.06pm
Well, what about at Ticino's?

And can somebody tell me why their bakery is not for sale? (Lest this be a very confusing observation, they have signs outside that say 'Bakery not for sale'.) Perhaps they are worried that developers would like to buy them up?
Friday 12 August 2005 1.53pm
y susg interist in the bakery who have bene there for 35 years?
get a life mapmaker.
and let other hard wrking people alon
hugs and kisses .JAKIE.
cej
Friday 12 August 2005 3.09pm
I'd be surprised if they can find the space... they have a working business there and I've never had the feeling that they were long on space. Any real suggestions anyone?

There was a rumour in the street that the bakery was for sale which is why they put up the signs... I was there when they put them up... and the story probably starts when developers are answering the potential buyers of the flats about what's happening to the bakery: don't worry, the building's for sale, they're moving out. Or maybe it's developers who want to buy it & convert it into more prison cells for quick profit.

Ticino's been in the same location for 30+ years and intend to stay, which I'm happy about - most of the stuff that's being built this end of the street's not going to win awards for 'good architecture' or 'good living conditions', my guess is we're seeing the equivalent of the 60'es tower blocks being built in the middle of the conservation area.

And I never did figure out what happened to your mask?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions