London SE1 community website

Smelly Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Friday 12 August 2005 3.30pm
What about that shop unit, Miss Jones, on Long Lane. It doesn't seem to have found an occupier yet so couldn't the bakery or someone in partnership with them run a deli/fresh bread shop there. It would overcome the lack of space/licencing issues for the bakery and use the shop venue too. It would certainly inspire me to alter my route to work if I could buy fresh bread in the mornings!!
Friday 12 August 2005 4.02pm
Clearly Ticino is feeling slightly under siege because of this thread and developers, etc. -- now there's another sign, HAPPY TO BE PART OF BERMONDSEY'S PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE, or something like that.

Don't feel under seige, Ticino! I for one LOVE the smell from your bakery, especially at weekends. Long may you be a part of Bermondsey's future. Stay right where you are.

By the way, I disagree, cej, that the new architecture in Bermondsey Street is for the worse. The new building and renovation opposite Ticino is excellent, I think. In fact walking down Bermondsey Street today I have to say I think it's looking better than ever.

Re. Miss Jones on Long Lane, why on earth the owner decided to brand the premises before s/he had a tenant is beyond me. If I wanted to open a deli, that stage-school design wouldn't be my choice.
cej
Friday 12 August 2005 4.24pm
Miss Jones on Long Lane is a good choice... but it does seem a bit lonely out there on it's own & the design would not be my choice either

The ex-post office or ex-'The Bermondsey' would be a great place too - any idea what's happening there?

I agree that some of the new architecture in the street is good and that things are generally going in the right direction... but some of it's horrid, e.g. the building where Kalmar's on the ground floor, the one on the corner on the same side street, the whole of the galliards nightmare next to the bakery and all the way around to Long Lane, the buildings at the bottom end+south side of Newhams row are, depending on the day & my mood, places I think fit my earlier description.

Also, I'm not too optimistic that the buildings on the corner of Bermondsey Street & Long Lane are going to stay, maybe water damage will happen and make the buildings unsafe and not worth keeping due to the damage?
Friday 12 August 2005 4.58pm
I have a feeling you're right about the buildings on the corner of Bermonsdsey Street and Long Lane not being likely to stay. I think Niall Connolly posted something about it ages ago, but I could be wrong about that.

I think Miss Jones could do rather well as a business, actually. There's a lot of passing trade there.

No idea what's happening to the Bermondsey. I do know that Cucina pizza had a place on Bermonsdey Street for a retail outlet, but that fell through for some reason. Don't know where it was.
Sunday 14 August 2005 7.16am
I think the reason why they say ' Ticino is not for sale' is because right next to the building is a sign 'For Sale' for a neighbouring new development. It suggests perhaps that the bakery is for sale. I also love the smell of the bakery and think that Bermondsey Street is getting better an better. But hey, degustibus non est disputandem.
Thursday 18 August 2005 6.05pm
On the 9th August Samuel wrote;
I don't necessarily agree with a 24 hour licence, but I'm very happy to see more food/drink/retail in Bermonsdey Street and environs. I don't agree with the criticism implicit in "yet another". There aren't enough.

It wasn't so much the restaurants I was thinking about ( though there are at least three more with planning consent, all close to Ticino, one of them reputed to be an All Bar One ), it was the club and 24hr licence. The Government's idea, as I understand it, is to turn us all into civilised continental drinkers by having it available all hours.
My first reaction is that I don't think our old drinking habits are going to change that quickly and that we will soon be writing about Noisy Bermondsey Street rather than Smelly Bermondsey Street.
Good to see this thread change from the suspicion of the start, to being better informed and supportive of Ticino.

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions